Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Nice hotel in Ft. Lauderdale area to spend 50th birthday?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been years since I have been to the Ft. Lauderdale area and since I will be turning 50 less than a week after my daughter's wedding, I figure that I better stay in the country. Time frame is late Sept - Early Oct. I just want a place to get away and relax for a few days with my DH after all the wedding activities. Budget will probably be less than my normal budget considering what we are paying for the wedding, but I still want waterfront elegance if that is possible for under $450 a night. Hopefully the weather will still be warm enough to be out on the beach? I have been to Boca Raton Club years ago w/ my college roomate for lunch. Is this still as nice? What about the Breakers? I have not checked the prices yet, but hoping for feedback from recent travelers.

Thanks so much~
/bankbabe
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
DMG

Since you are going "off season", I'm sure you can get a deal under $450. The Boca Raton Resort and Club is still very nice but I think The Breakers in Palm Beach is even nicer (though a little further from Fort Lauderdale). Hopefully the weather will be good, definitely warm enough for the beach. Just pray for no hurricanes this year!
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:48 AM

In March we spent one night at the Gallery One by Double Tree, it was a great hotel, it is on the water (not the ocean) rooms were suites, warm cookies when you arrive, a short walk over the bridge took us to a little Italian restaurant, there were other resturaunts and shops. There is a great Gallarie mall just a few blocks away with a great food court (not like I have ever seen before). The beach is within walking distance although several blocks, there is also a bus that runs this area, as family memeber that were staying at the Marriott on the beach took to our hotel.

I'm sorry I don't remember what street the hotel was on, and the rate was around your price, but that is was for a 2 bedroom 2 bath.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DMG and EE. I have been reading older trip reports and I think I might give the Breakers a whirl. I like that the plane ride is only a couple hours too.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM

There is a new "W" Hotel on the beach that looks 5star fabulous. Not sure what rates are, but since this is off season, should be in you budget.