Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Ft. Lauderdale - family-friendly, nature beach?

Old Sep 4th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're the parents and grandparents of a very active 3-yr old, who'll all be spending one week in the Ft. Lauderdale area in early November. We all love nature, going on long walks/runs on the beach, and good food. We want to avoid crowds, noise and a wild nightlife (kindda obvious!) Which beach community should we stay at? Any hotel/ small inn recommendations? (Note: the grandma is a neat-freak!)
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Hugh Taylor Birch State Park is located across the street from Ft. Lauderdale Beach at Sunrise Boulevard. Even though I have lived here all my life, I don't know of an immaculate hotel in that immediate area, although I'm sure there must be some. However, I will warn you NOT to stay at the Holiday Inn at the corner of A1A and Sunrise Blvd, I have seen reports of people who were very disappointed with the cleanliness of this hotel.

The hotels I know are nice, are on the south end of the beach:
Radisson Bahia Mar
Harbor Beach Marriott
Lago Mar

The following is the URL for the Water Taxi, it will give you some info on transportation and things to do:
http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions, Heartburn3. If you had your choice between Pompano, Deerfield, LBTS and Hollywood beaches, which would you recommend? Our wish list is: long and wide, not too crowded and not too developed. We also would really like to stay at a hotel right on the beach, i.e. have beach access without having to cross a street. (are we asking for too much?) Thanks again.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM

I would absolutely check into Lago Mar Resort. They have a website (google search), and often offer specials.

It is a gorgeous property, with a large and very private (and large!) beach right off the property! You can go from one of the lovely pools (tropical decor, of course) to the beach and back again. Restaurants on property, hammocks and play areas for the kids, shuffle board, life-sized chess board....very plush rooms, granite baths...so nicely done. Incredible service and good restaurants.

Worth a trip to Ft Lauderdale just to hang out at the resort. And kid friendly too!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:29 AM

I'd suggest Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, FL, nice, non-crowded, walk friendly place.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:07 PM

My vote is for Marriott Harbor Beach resort. Beautiful property located right on the beach. They have pools, cabanas, activities for kids, etc... We stayed there last November and loved it! I definitely recommend this hotel. We were even upgraded to an oceanview room. Only negative is you pay for parking per day-$16.00. Other than that, I would stay here again. We got a great price $105 per night on priceline.

Have fun!
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM

We've stayed at both Marriott Harbor Beach and Lago Mar and loved both properties. Both are beautiful with nicely furnished rooms and great pools. We had oceanfront rooms at both and the views were fantastic-although Lago Mar's was best. The difference for me was that Harbor Beach's room was very nice, but normal hotel sized. We had a 1 bd. suite at Lago Mar, which was like a 1 bd. condo with a good sized balcony. We loved the space. Also. they've refurbished them recently. HB is a well run resort and Lago is family owned. There are advantages to both, so I would think either would make a great vacation destination. Good luck!