New York Suite hotel for families

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Suite hotel for families

We are planning a trip to NYC in May. Two adults and two grown children. We need a hotel with two queen beds and a fold out couch or a hotel that will allow a rollaway along with 2 queen beds. Ideal location would be safe & central part of city (Theater, 911 Memorial, Times Square & quick walk to subway). Budget is up to $450/night. Appreciate any suggestions!
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:45 PM

All tourist areas are safe. And there really isn't a central part of the city as the attractions are scattered. And unless you are on the extremes of the east or west side, there will be some subway nearby.

Many first timers like to stay around Times Square, which is also the theater district. It is noisy, crowded, and many people think it is exciting. But there is no need to stay there.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 04:24 AM

We stayed here at the Hampton Inn Manhattan-Times Square North few years ago with our young adult kids. The rooms are quite large for New York but I don't know if they would allow a rollaway. The location was excellent.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 05:08 AM

You mention the area around the 9/11 Memorial. That is the least central area of all of Manhattan. Your best bet may be a one-bedroom suite at the Beacon Hotel on the Upper West Side or one of the Affinia suite properties.

If you are staying a full week, you can get the weekly prepurchase rate at the Dumont for a one-bedroom suite for under $300 per night. That's a great deal (though the dates available really depend). TO compare, the same room is over your budget for stays of less than a week.

It's likely that Radio City Apartments is already full for May, but you might also try there.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 06:37 AM

Excelsior hotel in the upper west side - very close to subway and a great neighborhood. My girl friend and I stayed there and we had a one bedroom suite (queen bed plus living room with sofa bed and bathroom) plus another whole bedroom with own bathroom but I think it was around 450 - 500 a night.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 07:52 AM

Agree that all tourist areas of the city aer safe. Midtown or the upperwest side are more conveninet to many things - but downtown - SoHo, Chelsea, etc can be more trendy. Nothing is close to everything since sights are spread out all over the city. What you want is to be close to the subway.

You should have a look at the Afinia group of hotels and also the Beacon (you may have to contact them directly) since they have a range of suite configurations available at modest prices. Your $450 shuold be enough but I would solidify reservations as soon as you have dates since typically good deals go early. and remember that prices quoted ar eplus tax - I think 18%.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will look into the hotels mentioned. We are only staying two nights so that one week deal won't work for us but I'll make a note of it for the future!

So parents can sleep in one bed but I need another 2 beds or 1 bed + 1 rollaway/sofa sleeper for the 2 adult children. Finding that seems to be a challenge. Central, close to subways is fine as long as I can get to all parts of the city. Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM

Try booking.com and enter 4 people. As noted there is no central and subways are extensive in Manhattan.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:51 PM

You will not find one room with 3 beds - usual configuartion for 4 is 2 doubles. And very few rooms (except in very expensive hotels) have enough room for an adult-sized roll-away PLUS 2 double beds.

To get 3 beds you will really need a suite configuration of some sort - even if only 1 BR (with 2 beds). LR with pull-out sofa and 1 bath.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Well, if your adult children won't share a bed, this is going to be more difficult. Look for a full 1-bedroom suite or a 2-bedroom suite. This will limit your choices and increase your costs but it's possible. Some of the full one-bedroom suites at Affinia hotels do have a room with 2 doubles plus a sofa. And in those larger apartments, a rollaway may be a possibility.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 07:28 PM

Salisbury-57th St.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM

Check the Doubletree Suites (Hilton) in Midtown. They are all suites and I think they have some with 2 double beds in one room plus a sofabed in the living area.

Also the Conrad (also Hilton) may have some larger suites, but those will be a lot more expensive.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 02:28 PM

For random dates in May Doubletree has a suite that will fit your requirements for about $570 per night non-cancellable advance purchase.

You might find better deals on the discount sites.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM

the Courtyard Midtown East has very big rooms with two queen beds and a full size pull out sofa. And even with the pull out some pulled out into a bed, there is a LOT of space in the room.

Check the pics on their website of those rooms and you will see. You should call the hotel about that room type as they do not list them on their room selection when you try to make a reservation, but they DO have those rooms, I have stayed in them.

Very good central location also.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 12:18 AM

I have stayed at the Salisbury -- they may well have something that will work for you. You can also try quikbook.com.