Search

New York w/ kids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York w/ kids

going to NYC Thanksgiving week- what area to stay & suggested hotels- we like 4-5 star accommodations- want to be in good/central area...subway. good restaurants, shopping, etc. near.....have looked at hotels near Central Park & Times Square- not sure what to choose
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Do you have a huge budget? A very average hotel in Manhattan will be very pricey during Thanksgiving week. Several years ago, we paid $400 a night for the Residence Inn.

How many people in your family? Are you looking for one room or two or a suite? Kitchen facilities?

As for location, any place in Manhattan is fine as long as it's near a subway. Most central would be from about Chelsea to Central Park, but even a little more north (Upper West Side) or a little more south (Soho, Greenwich Vilage) would be fine. Although I 'be stayed there many times, I'd avoid Times Square itself during Thanksgiving (the crowds are massive).
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM

How many nights? What days of the week? And as mentioned above...what's your budget and how many people?
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Also...are you a AAA member? If not, it would most likely be worth joining because your savings would pay for your membership.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Key questions:

How many people (NYC hotel rooms are limited to 4 people) - 5 has to be either 2 rooms or a suite

How old are the kids - can they have their own room (a second bath is a BIG benefit)

what is you budget? That is the most expensive weekend of the year and a 5* hotel will be close to $1000 per night for a room - a suite will be more

What kind of atmosphere do you want and what will you be doing.

I agree to avoid Times Square which is frantic, garish and incredibly tacky that time of year. I would be more likely to do Central Park South or Midtown east/west right off 5th Ave
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM

You might want to check out the Salisbury Hotel. It's a small European style hotel across from Carnegie Hall which is an ideal location. There are subway stops within half a block in both directions. There are regular rooms and suites that are all large by NY standards. A continental breakfast is served which has alternated between free and inexpensive over the years. I've stayed there several times and always enjoyed my stay, but it's been awhile.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responses-- kids are 9&12- was hoping for something $500-600 pr nt- yes, we're AAA members- open to type of atmosphere but prefer new/ modern to old like Palace-- we would arrive on a Tues nt @ midnight & leave Sunday---
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 02:20 AM

Not all NYC hotel rooms are limited to a family of 4 people. There are some available for 5 or more and are listed on here http://www.roomfor5.co.uk/list/260
Although I would expect them to go really quick so probably need to be booked well in advance
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 05:14 AM

The midtown area doesn't have much in the way of new hotels that are 4* - there are some in the 2.5 to 3* category - but may not be what you want - since they are typically not full service. Most of the more upscale hotels in that area are older/ traditional. And many of the newer boutique hotels have rooms that are very small - not really suitable for a family.

You will have to look for a double double room (assume the 2 kids can share a double bed) and you may find a 4* for your budget. But I would look ASAP since people reserve early for that weekend.

You might want to have a look at the Muse - but it's too close to Times Square for me. Suggest you check tripadvisor for reviews.

And just be prepared for two things that people complain about most in NYC hotels:

1) Room size is much smaller than you may be used to - even in moderate chain hotels
2)Ambient street noise is a part of life in the city. If noise at night (police or fire engines, commercials carts loading and grinding trash) will bother you - be sure to ask for a room either facing away from the street or on a high floor or both
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 08:11 AM

I love the Salisbury...large rooms, especially by NYC standards, and it is super convenient. I prefer non-chain hotels for more charm and interest, but the hotel is definitely older.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 11:33 AM

We enjoyed the Royalton, which had a hipness-enhancing remodel a few years ago. The rooms are bright and modern, the service is excellent, and it's in midtown. The only curveball is that the lobby is one big, dark, glam lounge. Not inappropriate for kids, but maybe kind of odd. But I'd recommend it. Surely it's a 4*??
(Btw, the room we had was not the least bit small, nor was it noisy, b/c the hotel is on this perfect quiet street across from the Omni and the Algonquin. I think a lot of the warnings and generalizations here are a bit overstated.)
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Sorry - I don;t mean tim imply that all NYC hotels are noisy. I'm a native and to me city noise is waht's normal. What I find weird s being in the suburbs or ocuntry and having all of htos e stupid birds chirping at 6 am - enough to drive me mad.

But if you look at tripadvisor a lot of complaints about NYC hotels are about noise - and it's not the hotel - it's the city (9 million people squashed into a fairly small area make a lot more noise than 10,000 people spread out over a while town.)

IMHO better for people to be forewarned and make plans if they need a very quiet room - than be surprised that a city is noisy.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM

I don't disagree. It's just that even in Midtown there are notably quiet hotels, if that's a concern. But you can never rule out the possibility of a late-night siren or cabbie honk. Still, the OP's kids are old enough that it shouldn't be a big issue.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM

I highly recommend The Yotel hotel. Close to Times Square and basically everything.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:49 AM

I don;t think it's the kids. the complaints I see seem to be mostly from adults - who just assume a city shuts down - and you will have complete quiet after 11 pm. (And for some reason it's often people who choose to stay in Times Square.)

(Perhaps it;s people from towns that do shut down at 10 or 11 pm -- and that is the attraction of Times Square - but they don;t understand the correlation - that up all night means noise all night.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:57 AM

I have stayed in a hotel room overlooking Times Square, and I'm glad I did the one time because it was an experience I'll always remember, but I think I won't do it again. City noises are one thing, constant din is another. For first-time visitors I usually suggest a hotel nearish Times Square, but IMO being in/on it is too much.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM

For those who don;t understand, residential garbage collection in NYC usually runs from 7 am to 1 or 2 pm.

But those who collect garbage/trash from businesses (not the city but commercial carters paid for by the businesses) are REQUIRED to do so in the middle of the night - so they don;t clog the street during the day. They typically operate from 11 pm or midnight through to about 4 or 5 am - sine they have to pick up from restaurants and clubs as well as stores.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 10:45 PM

We just went to New York in June/July with our family of 5. We stayed at the Affinia Dumont. We really loved it. (Thanks to the Fodorites who steered me to the Affinia properties!)

I am not sure its rating but it was very spacious. We had the one bedroom suite with two queen beds in the bedroom and the living room fold-out couch. The foldout couch was surprisingly comfortable if your kids don't want to share a bed. I did a quick check for Nov. 22-24 and it is showing about $344 on Affinia's website. It's only $20/night more for a view of the Chrysler Building.

http://www.affinia.com/default.aspx
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:35 AM

Affinia group hotels are well regarded in the moderate price range and definitely give you a lot of room for the money - but don't really meet your 4/5* request. They are certainly clean and well maintained - but may not have all the services you want. Go to the web site to see if they offer what you need.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 12:47 PM

I actually saw the Dumont under "Very Expensive" in at least one travel guidebook, which was surprising to me after I had already booked it and consider myself a midlevel traveler. Even so, with tax, it is easily $400+ a night, only $100 off his goal of $500/night. Finally, from my reading on TA, I would rank the Dumont as nicer than the Salisbury, which was previously recommended to the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -