Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Lodging in Ilwaco, Long Beach, Seaview Washington?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend, her husband, his mother and mother's friend are taking ferry over to Port Angeles and then making their way down the coast to a wedding in SF. They want the scenic drive, so it is 101 for them.

I think the first stop will be in Ilwaco, and I found a link to a site with b&b's etc, and just wanted to ask if anyone on this site has any specific favorites down there.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM

We stayed at the Shelburne Inn in Seaview a few years ago and it was really nice.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Second the Shelburne Inn; we stayed a night there last year. Decent restaurant (for the area) on the property too. If it's not available, they'll probably direct you to China Beach, a sister property, located overlooking the water just outside of Ilwaco. We drove by; I'd stay there, too.

In either case, they'll want to spend a few hours at Cape Disappointment State Park. In particular, I'd recommend the north lighthouse, and the interpretive center overlooking the mouth of the Columbia River.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the tips, I will share with them.

I probably should have explained that I'm originally from Washington, with family in Oregon, and the friends are from Australia so asked me to help them plan their road trip.

Unfortunately I've lived away from the PNW for awhile so working on memory for some of the stuff and want to confirm with people who have been places more recently! So again, thanks so much.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:26 PM

We were in Seaview for dinner this past Thurs. We had a very good dinner at The Depot in Seaview that I highly recommend.

There is also a new little Bistro that just opened in Ilwaco that is getting good reviews, it is where Pauley's Bistro used to be. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Tell them to watch for the metal sculptures beside the road as they drive through Raymond.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

I will share the additional posts. What are the sculptures by Raymond, Bob? Now I'm curious! Don't make me go google now
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Toucan2, they are metal silhouettes of people and animals that stretch from one end of town to the other along 101. I wouldn't make a trip specifically to see them, but if I was heading down that way I would allow an extra few minutes to snap a picture or two.

http://tinyurl.com/2tfq84
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

My curiosity got the better of me, I had to go google! It's fun to know about little extras like that on road trips,thanks for the tip.

Hm. How do you spell curiousity?