Search

LGA to/from Midtown

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LGA to/from Midtown

Hi I am looking for help to/from airport. We are set to fly in to LGA arriving at 10:30am on Sunday the 16th. We are staying at Affinia Dumont.

I have been planning on taking a cab to Midtown asking to take the Queensborough Bridge instead of the tunnel.

I was planning on using a car service for our trip back to airport for flight departure of 6pm on Friday.

Ok...my problem. There will be 4 of us traveling each with one piece of luggage. I was thinking that we'd be able to be in a standard taxi and take a regular sedan back to the airport. Both of the car services I looked up say that this is "over car capacity"

Opinions if this will be the case with the cab also, that we need to get a larger mini van? Since my husbands luggage will be more of a carry-on size do I just count luggage as 3?

Advice please...Thanks so much,
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 05:27 AM

First, forget about the queenborough bridge to save $4. Your hotel is very close to the midtown tunnel and that's the way to go I think.

Coming from the airport to the city, one of you go to the front of the line offical taxi line and ask the dispatcher for a larger minivan taxi.

Without seeing the 4 of you and your luggage, it's hard to judge how crowded you'd be in a regular sedan. Keep in mind 3 will have to sit in the back seat, 1 in the passenger seat in front which leaves only the trunk or your laps for cases. Perhaps you should wait til you get here and see how the 4 of you do without luggage in a regular cab. You can always phone Dial7.com or carmellimo.com from NYC.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Good cab drivers know the street route to the 59th Street Bridge. It is usually advisable during weekdays. We live on the east side and on occasion we will take the Williamsburg Bridge rather than the tunnel LaGuardia.

Depends

Old Mar 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Traveling will be my husband and I and two teenage daughters. We'd have no problem whatsoever riding three in the back seat.

Our luggage fits in our smaller cars at home, so I guess I just thought it odd that they say it would be 'over car capacity' for the car service sedans.

Thank you, I guess we will wait and see how it goes.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM

One piece of luggage can mean many different things. Some people have a modest bag and others bring a steamer trunk. If it will fit in your normal size car trunk at home it will fit in a cab or car service sedan.

I don;t understand the desire to take the 59th St bridge to save $4. To me, the view coming into Manhattan over the Triborough is worth more than that.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

I have no knowledge of why, other than what I have read on here.

I've read that you can save considerable amount (more than $4) on cab fare if you say to take the bridge instead of the tunnel or the Triborough Bridge. If thats wrong, then it is. Like I said I am just trying to research and read other posts because I know people get upset if you just ask questions without trying to research it some first. Certainly its not to save $4.

Do you suggest I tell the cab driver a certain route to take or just tell them our destination?
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 11:31 AM

You should be able to fit in the sedan from the car service. I think they just try to make more money by insisting on the minvan for 4. How to book the sedan, I'm not sure.

Tell the cab driver where you're going (34 st. b/w Lexington & 3rd ave.) and ask him what he thinks is the best way.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM

The only reason you save going over the 59th St bridge is that there is no toll - which is $4 for the midtown tunnel or triborough bridge.

Other than that the choice should depend on where in Manhattan you're going. Triborough bridge is closest to the airport - but Tunnel may make sense if you're headed downtown.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks

This is what I read on another post, didn't know it wasn't accurate for where we were staying.

"But tell your cab driver NOT to use the Triborough Bridge, which will add a minimum of $10 to your fare. If you take the Queensboro Bridge, you will not only arrive faster but not have to pay a $4.50 toll. You are allowed to specify which route to take."

Good thing you were around to clarify.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM

The post about taking the Queensborough Bridge was in reply to my post about LGA-Midtown transportation. However, we were staying at 51st and Lexington, so that bridge made more sense from both a financial and distance standpoint.

It was just my husband and I, but both the standard cab and the car service sedan we used for the return to LGA would have held us, our two teenagers, and a reasonable amount of luggage. However, at LGA there were several of the minivan type cabs available (this was on a Saturday morning), but I don't know if they would have incurred an up-charge.

I think you may have left already for the trip, and I hope you have a great time! Although I was worried about transportation (I live in a mid-size southern city and we are accustomed to driving everywhere), both the cab to midtown and the car service for the return were easy and affordable.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sugar for the info about the car/cab sizes, that was the main question really.

We leave one week from today and are very excited to go. We are staying on 34th which is in the same general area where you were staying which is why I thought the same information would apply.

But again, thanks for the info.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I find it hilarious that some tourists think they can or should direct a cab driver how to drive into Manhattan.

Don't do it.

Ask if one way is better than another, and mention that you'd prefer to avoid a toll if possible.

Many drivers, while waiting in the long line at LGA, listen to 1010 and know the best way to get into the city. (They also know instinctively, often.)

If you tell them the "wrong" way at that moment, you may save $4 but pay an extra $10 for all the waiting time.

I'm a New Yorker and have made countless trips to and from every airport in the area, and my mantra is "don't tell, do ask."

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

As I have stated before, the only way I have gotten this information is on this board.

Author: Doug_Stallings
Date: 02/19/2008, 10:54 pm
What everyone has told you about cabs into the city on a Saturday is accurate. But tell your cab driver NOT to use the Triborough Bridge, which will add a minimum of $10 to your fare. If you take the Queensboro Bridge, you will not only arrive faster but not have to pay a $4.50 toll. You are allowed to specify which route to take.

What I find hilarious is the number of posters who reply with information or opinion that was never being questioned in the first place. Now thats hilarious.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 11:36 AM

Doug's opinion is only that, and it's often wrong. Sometimes the Triborough (and FDR) are the quickest route to midtown, sometimes the 59th Street Bridge is better, and sometimes the tunnel is best.

The point is, you certainly don't know when you land at LGA, but your driver very well may know.

Ask, don't tell.