Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Diego and Los Angeles?? How many days in each city?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a 7 day trip to San Diego/LA. Right now we are planning 5 days in San Diego and 2 in LA. After some research on LA, I'm leaning towards adding more days in LA.
We have 3 kids, 13, 9, & 7. Which City do you prefer? I like cultural activities & just exploring/shopping. Kids like the usual kid stuff. Amusement parks, zoos, etc.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 03:57 PM

I absolutely love San Diego!

I have only spent 2 days in LA though. While I was there I went over to Anaheim to Disneyland. I spent a day in Disneyland and that was enough time for me. There is also shopping area with places to eat right by the park.

In San Diego I have been to the Wild Animal Park, Zoo, and Sea World. All were fantastic. If I had to choose one I would go back to the Wild Animal Park, but I would recommend all of them for children and adults. Each of them could take up a whole day. I also spent a day at Mission Bay park down by the water which was fun. My family spent 6 days in San Diego and never ran out of things to do.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I agree with lindy27. San Diego is great. I personally love the zoo, and Sea World for the kids. LA is nice too, it has disney land and universal studios for the kids. Hollywood, the walk of fame, and Rodeo Drive for you. There are also whale watching tours there that are some of the best I've ever done. LA is definetly worth a few days of your time.
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM

If you are into cultural attractions, you must visit the Getty while in LA. Your kids will survive accommodating you for the day. Depending on what you intend to allow the kids for the day in the way of Disney and Universal, I think you need at least 3 days in LA and 4 in SD.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM

In LA are also the La Brea Tar Pits - good fun; check out the Hollywood Walk of Stars, Grumman's Chinese Theatre (called something else now) with the footprints in the cement. In that same area is the Wax museum and I think the Guinness Book museum or something like that. They are all kind of cheesy but fun nonetheless. Venice Beach is always entertaining, a cultural experience of sorts. Agree the Getty is nice and the layout is good for those who don't want to really look at art. LA also has a fabulous art museum but don't know if the kids would love it.