Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Our flight today from Ohio to NYC was canceled

Mar 8th, 2008, 08:51 AM
SR
Original Poster

We are having a Blizzard here in Ohio, and we didn't get out today as planned. My sister-in-law and I have been planning this trip for months. It is her birthday, and NYC is where she wants to be. They have put us on the same flight tomorrow morning so we are keeping our fingers crossed that we get out.

How is the weather there in NYC?

Since I am snowbound at home here, I'm back at the Internet researching all the "what to do in NYC" websites. We have done most of the "tourist" stuff, this time it's just girls weekend. We are doing the SoHo Sanctuary, shopping, eating, and just enjoying the city.

We want to try Butter Restaurant, any comments????

A few restaurants that I have called are going to bring desert to my sister-in-law with a candle for her birthday. Does anyone have any other suggestions of something fun that I could surprise her with for her birthday while we are there?

I sure hope we get out of here. We are looking so forward to this trip.

Mar 8th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Horrible weather here in Manhattan today. Dark & rainy. Miserable.

Skip Butter. Service is awful and the food has gone WAY downhill since it became a "tourist" spot.

Just about any and every restaurant will bring a candled dessert to your table at the end of the meal ... just ask in advance.

Weather tomorrow is supposed to be very windy, so watch your airline's website and the FAA for delays. Monday is forecasted to be nice, sunny and 41 degrees.
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM

We're lucky it's not a little colder - or we'd be having a blizzard today too. So far we've had practically no snow this winter - the two really bad storms have come through as rain - rather than 2 feet of snow.
Mar 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I have read the same negative responses regarding Butter. My sister-in-law picked it because she heard it was known more for it's hip/trendy atmosphere. Any other restaurant suggestions? She likes pasta and salads, I like seafood and sushi, so we can never agree on food. We just pick restaurants for the ambiance.

Mar 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Search this forum for many, many, MANY threads about NYC restaurants.

You have thousands upon thousands of options.

Mar 8th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Look at the restaurant list on hipguide.com or pick a type of food (say Italian) on menupages.com and then pick trendy from the drop down features menu. Look at A Voce.
http://www.avocerestaurant.com/
Mar 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
SR
Original Poster

Thanks mclaurie, that helps!
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:52 PM

My son drove from Columbus to Rochester NY yesterday. It's normally about 7 hours - it took him 9 1/2 hours. I was worried sick about him all day!!!

He said he was SO GLAD when he finally hit the NY state border, as there were snowplows!!! LOL. We do indeed have snow plows, lots and lots of them. Thank goodness.
Mar 9th, 2008, 08:10 AM

I went to Butter a year ago and really liked it! Yes, I was a tourist, but I've been to NYC 10+ times, and it was one of my favorite meals there. Maybe I'm just not good at picking the right places...
Mar 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Have you managed to leave SR? I hope everything's ok with you and sister.
Mar 9th, 2008, 12:25 PM

SR, hope you got out today with no problems.

I just drove home to NE Ohio from Kansas City. The roads were in pretty good shape, the worst part was trying to get into my driveway.

I got in, but I'm gonna have to do some shoveling to get back out.
Mar 9th, 2008, 01:32 PM

SR, hope you made it out!
Mar 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM

My BFF in Columbus just reported 20" of snow. (Now I remember why I moved to Florida 30 yrs ago).

An article in our paper today about the newly refurbished Plaza Hotel in NYC, and the Tea offered for $60. Sounds like a grand indulgence to me!