Fort Myers area in Feb --help!

Jan 1st, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Fort Myers area in Feb --help!

We are thinking of going to the Fort Myers Beach area (or south of there) at the end of Feb for a week. We usually go to the panhandle and love the white sand beaches, but want to go someplace warmer. (We've already gone to the Keys and Fort Lauderdale/Miami area and want to try the SW Coast)

We will have a 6 month old infant with us so we don't care about nightlife or fancy resturants...we just want to relax and would like a nice soft sandy beach and a condo (or hotel with a kitchenette) that is RIGHT ON the beach. Any recommendations of where to go?

Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:03 AM

Have you thought about the Sarasota/Bradenton area? We love Siesta Key. It has the best beach, with white, powdery sand. We stayed at a condo on the beach and it was wonderful. I found the condo on vrbo.com.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 3rd, 2006, 12:06 PM

Have you thought about Sanibel Island? There are some rental units right on the beach. I have never stayed at them but it is right next to a prime shelling location. http://www.castawayssanibel.com/Page...modations.html
Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM

We stayed on Fort Myer's Beach this past October and had a great time with our children (who are 2 and 3 years old). We stayed at the Edison Beach House - it was very nice - we had a 2 bedroom unit with a kitchen but I felt it was a little cramped. I went to the spa at the Pink Shell Resort and thought that looked great. I would definately look into staying there on my next trip. I believe they have units with kitchenettes, etc.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:23 PM

Alvarki, we stayed at the Pink Shell and enjoyed it very much. They do have kitchenette units. It has recently been remodeled, so should be even nicer than when we stayed there.
Jan 4th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

We are thinking of staying in Fort Myers Beach at the Smuggler's Cove condos or the Coquina...would anyone recommend these?
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I second the suggestion for the Edison Beach house - right on beach, kitchenettes and a 7-11 is right across the street for convenience.
Jan 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

There are so many choices! We really don't want to stay in a large resort like the Pink Shell because we'd like it to be a little less crowded. We really need help!
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:58 AM

My husband, my 11 year old and I stayed there in Nov '05. We stayed at the southern end of the beach. Much quieter than northern. Northern is more commercialized and busy w/ lots of stores, restaurants and people.We rented a lovely private house on a beautiful beach FOR LESS THAN AN AVERAGE HOTEL PER NIGHT. The owners will almost always negotiate. Most of these houses are broken up into private duplexes. You have basically an apartment to yourself, w/the luxury of a private home, private pool, view, entrance, and grill. Quiet but neighbors nearby. Small quaint mall w/ rest. and shops, supermarket and 7 Elevens. Walk or short drive to hotels and main drag. We loved it! We are people who like good things but are not pretentious and we were very happy. Ft. Myers Beach is between Naples and Sanibel (very close). You can enjoy seeing these as well w/o paying the outrageous rents. To get some good rentals, private homes as well as condos, go to websites; VRBO, Rentalo. I have more if you'd like. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating this can be. Enjoy!
Jan 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM

I have never stayed at Smuggler's Cove or the Coquina but just so you know...as far as resorts go, the Pink Shell is much smaller that you'd expect a resort to be and the Edison Beach House is VERY small - so I don't think it would be too crowded.
Jan 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM

I hate to sound like naysayer but several years ago we walked in and out quite a few hotels. I didn't care at all for any of them, we did end up staying at the a Best Western and the Pink Shell looked nice. There are not a lot of "nice" places along there as I recall. I would grab the Pink Shell. It looked the nicest.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM

rjscott and loves_art, can you please tell me what unit you guys rented from vbro.com? I would love a recommendation!
Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:29 PM

Be careful if you are staying Sanibel Island or Sarasota area...the weather can still be chilly in February. I use to live there.