Reload this Page >

Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel

Search

Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Carla

Fort Myers Beach/Sanibel

Am looking for recommendations for a beach wedding site on Fort Myers Beach or Sanibel. Something fairly inexpensive, possibly done through a resort/hotel? I am basically just looking for the site, I want to do most of the planning.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:52 PM
linda

Carla,
Ft Myers Beach is an armpit beach. tattoo shops, t-shirts, fast food. Horrible. Sanibel has some nice places- down the road a few miles is Captiva, which is far lovelier.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Ann

I would suggest you contact Casa Ybel resort on Sanibel. We stayed there last June and witnessed two beautiful beach weddings from our condo's screened porch.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:46 AM
Vicki

If you are looking for something inexpensive, I would suggest the Lovers Key Beach Club resort. All the units are condos with 1-2 separate bedrooms. It is the perfect location, quiet but close to the nightlife, just over the bridge from the south end of Fort Myer Beach (which I consider to be a lot cuter/cleaner than most of the east coast beach areas -- Ocean City, Myrtle, etc.). The island is a state(?) park with the exception of 3 hi-rise condos that sit at the north end. Check their website and call them as you may get a better deal for several units.

We were there over Memorial Day, 2002 but stayed in the Grandview. Next time we will be in the Lovers Key Resort. Much nicer pool & had a restaurant; nice luxury rooms, and the same price or less than Grandview (which spent very little on furnishings but was very clean). Perfect location for day trips either north or south. There is a small rental place for any kind of water 'toy' from ocean kayaks to pontoon boats next to the foot of the bridge (easy walking distance).

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:35 AM
Carol

I'm looking to visit and book Sanibel or Ft. Myers Beach for the first time. From what I hear, my heart is set on Sanibel/Captiva, except it is so expensive (would like to keep it under $130 a night).

My question is if we book something on Ft. Myers Beach which is doable in my price range, is it easy to access Sanibel and all there is to do there. Is there a public beach/parking we can go to on Sanibel since we wouldn't be staying at a resort there?

Any help would be appreciated

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:51 AM

The drive to Sanibel from Ft. Myers Beach is short, maybe 15 minutes. Most of Ft. Myers beach is lovely. The area around the pier can get congested, and there are tattoo shops and such in that area. However, if you drive down towards the south end of the beach, its really very nice. The beach is wide and clean, and there are numerous lodging options. The poster who called it an armpit has obviously not been to many beaches.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:41 PM
Lori

I stayed on Ft. Myers Beach several weeks ago for 4 days. We went to Sanibel Island, and Captiva for dinner. Above poster is correct, however, you must pay a toll to cross over the bridge to Sanibel, and I believe pay for parking if you want to go to the beach on the Island. Ft. Myers has a lovely beach I didn't see the need to leave Ft. Myers and go to the beach in Sanibel. The sand is white and powdery. We stayed at the South end and had an oceanfront room. It was quiet. Around the pier is more congested.