Sanibel Island Best Places to Stay?

Jan 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Sanibel Island Best Places to Stay?

Hi,
We are planning a trip for two April 5 to Sanibel Island. I was hoping for some recommendations for good romantic places to stay as we have never been to this area. We prefer smaller "boutique" properties right on the beach with balconies that we can share a glass of wine on and look at the ocean. A nice pool area would be great and we would like to find a property located on a nice beach that preferrably isn't overly crowded. I guess in our fantasy a cottage overlooking the water would be Hemingway grand but I am guessing difficult to find in our price range--was thinking of something in the $350 to 450 per night range? We are coming all the way from Seattle so I want to find a romantic spot! Noisy properties with loads of kids and spring breakers would not be ideal.
Jan 20th, 2008, 05:19 PM

Well, mostly there are condominiums on Sanibel. I'm not sure I've ever seen any cottages - maybe up on Captiva.

So, you're best bet is to rent a condo. If you stick to sort of the middle of Sanibel you will be out of the busiest areas. Very few (any?) of the condos are Right on the beach - I mean they are, but they have walkways to get to the beach. The beaches are public.
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

So which condos (low rise) with good views and nice decks would you recommend?
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM

We love The West Wind Inn ... www.westwindinn.com ... It's a two-level, old Florida-style, classy resort with about 100 rooms, beautiful big pool area with bar/food service, the best shelling beach on Sanibel (IMHO), screened balcony. If you go to tripadvisor.com and read the reviews, you'll see that many people agree with me.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM

I've stayed on West Gulf Dr and liked that location. We were at Tarpon Beach Condos. I also like Blind Pass - nice and quiet up there. But really, it will depend on what's available from the various rental agencies. (I've stayed with friends there.)

Check out the reviews on tripadvisor.
http://tinyurl.com/2vj5qw

Bring along beach shoes. The beach is a little tough on the feet.
Feb 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM

It may be booked, but I would recommend Song of The Sea, its geared more towards adults, its right on the ocean, the front building has one bedroom units and you have a screened lanai facing the ocean. They also have units in the back that face the pool. We are staying there for our second time this year. When we stayed there two years ago, we were amazed at how few kids were there the main occupant of the pool was a duck!

The ocean front units are long and narrow but are clean and have nice amenities. Breakfast is incuded in their rate, a bottle of wine at check-in and free bicycle use. They also have a sister property that has cottagy type units you may want to check out.
Mar 5th, 2008, 02:27 AM

Sunset beach resort is where I stay every time I go to Sanibel.Although pricy, they are always welcoming.