san francisco virgins

Search

san francisco virgins

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san francisco virgins

never been to west coast- planning trip to SF in early fall- where to stay- moderate -but nice section. fall good time to go??THANKS
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Yes.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Hi ssvw, for a start I would suggest that you bookmark the SF Chronical's website which is www.sfgate.com. This will give you a good idea about SF.

Early fall is my favorite time in SF. Normally wonderful weather and a lot of the visitors have gone home so a bit easier to get around.

In that we all have a different viewpoint about "moderate" what would your budget be for a hotel room. Will you have a car or do you plan on using public transportation (usually a good idea for while you are in SF). Nice section, that I understand!!

Also, if you type Stu Dudley into the search box here on Fodor's you should be able to pull up a lot of his post which has fabulous information for visitors to SF. Better than any travel guide IMO.

I do not know why the website is showing twice, but anyway it gives you the address. Take care.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Never mind, when I clicked the edit button it showed the website twice but when I actually posted it didn't. Confusing, LOL.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM

I thought somebody found virgins in San Francisco? Yes? No?

Type "san francisco" in the search window, you'll be busy with reading for a week
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i know it sounds hokey, but you really must ride a street car!

and i like the restaurants at Belden Place a lot.

i stay somewhere around Union Square.

have dim sum in Chinatown.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:38 PM

loveitaly,

I have been having the same problem with my links. In preview it shows the link twice, but then it's ok in the final message (??) On another forum an old timer mentioned something like needing, or not needing a space after the link. I still haven't figured it out.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Hi jtrandolph, that is interesting. I haven't had a problem in the past. Well guess when we click edit and see the double web address we will just have to assume it will show up properly when we click post.

BTW, are you sick of the rain? I sure am. Take care.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 12:47 AM

September/October is our summer in S.F. -- but always remember to layer for your clothing. Many visitors think because it's California that it's always warm here, when S.F. is typically always cool to cold - but October is sometimes the exception for a couple of weeks when it can get very warm - so be prepared either way. But you can usually depend upon it being sunny and beautiful in the early fall. This is the best time of year to come for weather (of course the fog is beautiful too!). If you come in October, you can enjoy Fleet week with the Blue Angel's performing over the Bay (even us locals get a bit of a thrill) -- as well as Open Studio where artists open their actual studios to the public (and some live/work lofts) and show and sell their art -- a different section of the city each weekend throughout the month. September also tends to be lovely.

Agree that Union Square is a great location in which to base. While it can seem touristy, locals hang-out and shop there as well and you're right in the thick of things. Don't get a car! You will be right on the Market BART/Muni line that can take you to Embarcadero/Ferry Bldg; Noe Valley, the Castro, Berkeley, and more -- and can easily BART in from either SF or Oakland airports. From Union Sq, you can easily walk to Chinatown and North Beach (the Italian section - or a short cab ride) -- and Cable Cars are right there to take you to Fisherman's Wharf (if you must go - go at night when everyone's left and it's quiet and you'll nearly have the place to yourself - have a hot fudge sundae at Ghirardelli in the Square and you can say you've done it -- Do you really need to go to Pier 39 when there's so much to do?). Window shopping, art galleries, and great restaurants in Union Square -- and also an easy walk into SOMA with fabulous restaurants, wine bars, nightlife, and SFMOMA. Get off the beaten path and go into the neighborhoods -- Hayes Valley, the Mission, the Haight, the Marina/Cow Hollow, etc. Instead of doing Alcatraz, pass right by it on a Ferry to Tiburon and have lunch on the outdoor patio of Guaymas Restuarant and appreciate the S.F. skyline from across the Bay. Go to Golden Gate Park on a Sunday when they close down to cars and rent a bike or rollerblades -- check out the newly re-opened DeYoung museum and have tea in the Japanese Garden there.

For hotels in and around Union Square, check out: the Serrano, the Rex, the Triton (ultra hip fun, at the gates to China town and inbtwn the fabulously refurbished Cafe de la Press and Vinasa Italian wine bar), the Milano on the other side of Market near Nordstrums, or the Maxwell a bit more in the theater district a couple blocks off the square - all fairly moderate boutique type hotels. Union Square will give you the best of all worlds -- in the heart of where you want to be and easy access to transportation into other areas.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:21 PM

Loveitaly,

YES I am sick of the rain. We are going to the City tomorrow for a play, so I guess I get out my London Fog and umbrella. Going with friends to eat at Cortes. Do you know it? Do you believe it is APRIL?
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:29 PM

Hi jtrandolph, no I am not familiar with Cortes. I don't get to SF as much as I did when I lived in the Bay Area (than I was in SF almost every week). Now that I am in the southern end of the Sacramento Valley it takes longer etc. Or maybe I am getting lazy?

What play? Do dress warm, sigh, yes your London Fog will be needed. I don't think I have worn mine as much as I have this winter/spring.

Have a beautiful day inspite of the rain. And just keep telling yourself one of the days we will have beautiful pleasant weather, well at least I hope so!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:59 PM

Loveitaly,

The play was ACT's "The Rivals", a Restoration farce by Richard Brinsley Sheridan. It is long and these are not usually my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the scenery and the costumes and the silly action. (It came as part of a season's subscripton.)

Cortes, the restaurant, is in the Adagio Hotel, on Geary a couple of blocks from the theatres. (The hotel started out as the El Cortez, then was remodeled and became the Shannon Court and then was gutted, I think, and is now the Adagio. they kept the Spanish Colonial facade, but I miss the old lobby and the funky elevators which had mail slots next to them.)

Back to the restaurant. This is a "small plates" place and the food is fantastic. The four of us kept ordering small plates and sharing them ... scallops, lamb loin, sweetbreads, frisee salad, etc. etc. Nice sauces and presentation. It can get noisy, and the tables are a little close together, but it is stylish and we ate fairly early. Very nice service. Not inexpensive.

We got there early, and while waiting for our friends we sat at the bar and watched a very beautiful bartender make some of the most intriguing drinks. She was sweet and didn't mind telling us about them. <grin>
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM

Hello jtrandolph, how nice to see your post!! I was thinking of you Saturday as we had so much rain here, sigh! Actually got a break today.

Thanks for the information regarding Cortes. I will be going there the next time I am in SF. I love the small plate idea, it is so nice to be able to eat various foods. I do know where it is, thanks to your description. Imagine like me that there are several things that you miss in SF. I am glad that you had a good day. I think that as soon as the weather drys up I am going to go to SF for at least three days, a mini vacation. Take good care!