Advice on riding BART to get around San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to the BART website but the information is overwhelming. What is the best way to get information about public transportation to get around San Francisco. I would like to have a good basic schedule that I can have with me and use at the spur of the moment. I know I can get specific route info on the website but I don't always know ahead of time where I want to go and I won't have easy access to the internet once I'm in S.F.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM

BART is not a good option for "getting around" SF because it only has one line. It is used to get into and out of SF. For transportation throughout the city use Muni buses, Cable Cars, taxis, walk, etc.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM

BART is used to get riders into and out of San Francisco. It is not really used for getting around San Francisco itself. For that, you will use Muni. BART and Muni are two different transportation systems.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
BART has more than one line(!) but I do agree it is not for getting around the city... rather it's for commuting into and out of it - from east, north, and south.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM

BART has one set of tracks (inbound and outbound)through San Francisco...once outside of SF the tracks diverge and go to different places.

When I said Muni I meant buses and trains.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Here's a transportation site:
http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mhome/home50.htm

I keep this number in my cel phone:
415.673.Muni

They're great! If I get lost, I just call and I relay to them where I am (or if I don't really know, I tell them what I see around me) and the operator might say, "Oh, you're on the wrong side. Cross the street and catch the ____ bus."
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM

The best thing is to get a MUNI map of San Francisco where different bus lines have different colors.

BART is useful mostly to get to/from the airports.

Also, a great advice from Melissa regarding cell phone.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Muni also includes (subway-surface)trolley cars along with those busses.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM

Oh, by the way, there are changes coming in April. Line N will no longer run to the Caltrain, J will. And the new line T will run from Castro to Embarcadero, and along the 3rd street to Caltrain and then God knows where
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Hello cbl30911,
The previous posters have pointed out the most important differences between BART and MUNI to you. In general, the S.F. Municipal Railway in all its forms (buses, trolleys, subway, etc.) is what one uses to get around within San Francisco. The one exception (which I use on an almost daily basis) is quick transit between the Mission Distrct and the Financial District, for which BART is a much better option than taking the ultra-slow number 14 Mission bus.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Within the city, BART travels from the Embarcadero to the Mission Distict, so it's not at all true that it can't be used to get around in the city. It also shares a station with the underground MUNI at several locations. Like any system, there are spots you can't reach with BART. The best method of transport will depend on where you want to go.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Can the tourists' passes be used on BART? I know the monthly MUNI pass is valid on BART within San Francisco, what about those 1, 3, 7-day passes?

I think I read somewhere those short passes can't be used on BART, so it can add up for tourists.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Nobody said BART can't be used but most of the city is not near the BART line so it is not a stretch to say that it is not a good option for getting around SF.

Of course if one is at the Ferry Building and wants to go the Mission then BART is a fine choice. I would guess however that the majority of tourists who are in town for just a couple of days are not hanging out in the mission.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice. I will definitely put the number in my cell phone. That is really helpful information.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM

Hi there - Not sure which web site you're using, but I always use this "Trip Planner" site. Just put in the address where you are and where you want to go, and it will tell you what bus (MUNI) to take. It also has links to popular destinations and how to get there. (BART won't help you much once you're in the city, so you'll want to take MUNI instead)

http://transit.511.org/tripplanner/index.asp

Since you said the internet might not work for you, you can also go to the main transport station at Market & Montgomery street and pick up maps, etc.

You might also look for the "Street & Transit Map" - it's about $3 and they have it at newstands near Union Square. I think they also have it at the Visitors Center near Market & Powell.

Like MelisaHi, I also keep the MUNI phone number 415-673-MUNI in my cell phones in case I need to ask which bus to take.

Last but not least:

Bay Area Transport Basics
http://transit.511.org/providers/basics.asp

Good luck!
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Magellan, thank you so much for posting the trip-planning link! I am in SF as we speak (first full day), and that may be a big help! A cyber hug to you!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 09:47 AM

elsie moo - so glad you found the Trip Planner site helpful! have a great time in the city!