Search

san francisco house

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
san francisco house

We're thinking about renting a house thru VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner) in southern san fran this Oct. Has anyone ever done this? It's dirt cheap $480.00 for 4 nites- 2 bedroom, 2 bath in Brentwood. Sounds to good to be true!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM

The rental is probably that cheap because it is so far from SF. I can't imagine there is a lot of demand for vacation rentals out that far. There is a BART station in Pittsburg that you could use to commute into SF, but you would end up spending a lot of time commuting and the cost would eat up a bunch of your savings.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Brentwood? There isn't a neighborhood in SF called Brentwood (maybe I'm wrong?). There is a city/town of Brentwood in the East Bay (Solano County) which is prob an hour away from the city.

Is there an address that you can give us so we can see where it is? Then those of us from the area can give you some insight into its proximity to sites.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM

The listing says it is in South San Francisco (although I don't know of the Brentwood area). South SF is different than southern San Francisco. South SF is a entirely different city (in a different county). It is NOT the southern part of San Francisco.

The place looks very nice but for a vacation in San Francisco I would not choose it. Of course, the price might be right for you to come to a different conclusion.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM

There IS a town called Brentwood in the East Bay, near Antioch.

I believe the poster is referring the neighborhood called Brentwood in South San Francisco (not to be confused with Brentwood in Los Angeles).

stl_tere,
please provide the VRBO reference number, and we can look up the specific property and provide more opinions.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

saps is absolutely correct.
South San Francisco is a whole separate burg, in San Mateo County. It is not "southern San Francisco". It is actually closer to SFO airport than anything in the city proper.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I've never heard of Brentwood, but being curious looked it up. Couple of real estate sites refer to the area by this name. Looks like it's near GG Nat'l Cemetary, located a little bit past the 380E interchange w/ 280N. That's not a very accesible location in terms of public transport (but I might be mistaken), but if you don't mind driving, it's not too long of a commute to the city. Of course, vehicle/parking costs in SF will eat away at your savings from renting the house...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. The VRBO # is 76447
We wanted to be able to go to Monterey and Carmel so we thought this might be more central. What do you think?
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:37 PM

>>We wanted to be able to go to Monterey and Carmel so we thought this might be more central. What do you think?<<

It will probably save you 5-10 minutes travel time to Carmel, compared to staying in the Mission, Noe Valley, etc.

Stay in the City

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Yeah, this place is in South San Francisco, a separate city, aka "South City." Stay in the SF. It's not worth the hassle it will be to go back and forth into San Francisco. I don't know South City that well - only the main commercial area - but it's not too interesting a place.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Ah - I see. At least it is closer to SF than the town of Brentwood in the east bay. Still not particularly convinient.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:59 PM

The sun does not shine there....as number one on a list of many reasons why this is probably not a great place to vacation. However, the price is good, so that is the one reason I can think of that is positive.
Sorry to be a downer....
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM

The price is good, but other than that, there's absolutely no advantage to staying in that area. It's primarily residential and probably surrounded by your run of the mill strip malls, etc.

If your reason for staying there is to be closer to Carmel, Monterey, I would agree w/ a previous poster that it won't save you much time. You can probably find as good of a deal in SF on priceline or another discount site. I will sometimes stay in SF for the night and have won $100/nt 4 star rooms on Priceline (weekend bids).

Good luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:16 PM

stl_tere,
I looked at the site and it's a perfectly decent house with some nice retro details. I do have friends and associates who live in South San Francisco, Colma, Daly City, etc. - all the towns just south of the San Francisco City and County border. However, the people I know LIVE there (for various reasons) and their lives and lifestyles give them ample, diverse reasons to go into the City frequently. It's easy to drive into the City to meet friends for dinner or go to the theater once in a while, or to commute to school or work from these towns - after all, one can do it anytime. But you are a visitor, with limited time and resources. You can spend your time and resources in a much more satisfactory fashion, and get a much better feel for our beloved town, if you stay in San Francisco proper.

If you stayed in Colma, you'd think it was all about fog and cemetaries!
Background: Colma has many graveyards and graveyard related businesses, such as tombstone stores and florists. The quip about Colma is that it's the city that waits for the city that waits to die. (That's hyper-speak for S.F., you know, we're all supposed to be waiting for the Big One).

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM

I googled "brentwood area San fransisco" and to my disbelief you where discussing the very house I'm going to be staying in 2 weeks...How funny! I was under the impression I would be close to everything. But by the responses you have been given I feel mislead. To top it off I can not even get my deposit back. But my reasons for visiting San Fran might be different from yours. I will be flying in to SFO and will be attending a
San Fran 49ers game. But will like to visit Fishermans Wharf during the day. Would anyone know how far that is from that area? Oh! Do not let this situation discourage you from renting through VRBO....I frequent that web site when I travel, it is better than staying in a hotel and less expensive, all their homes on that sight are inexpensive. But the web-site is very time consuming. You should try VacationRentals.com the web site has a better layout.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Monica, when something is "close" per owner's description, it means you can drive there.

Fish. Wharf is within walking distance if you're good at walking, pleasant stroll along the bay, stop for a lunch with a view somewhere.

If not, there are several buses and the historic trolley line F (not to be confused with the cable cars) to take you to the ball park
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM
SAB

Faina ---she is going to Candlestick aka Monster Park to see a football game NOT to China Basin for baseball.

The Wharf is definately not within walking distance of Candlestick.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:27 PM

Ooopsss... SAB thank you for correcting me! I forgot there is an old ball park!

Now, if you can tell me where I can see the Spiders hockey game
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Thank you for the response. I was trying to get out of renting a vehicle and just do the "public transportation thing"...but after reading everthing. It all seems so spread out. The airport is one-way, Monster park is another, and fishermans wharf is on the other. Do I have it right? I gave my agenda for Sunday. I arrive Saturday in the morning. Any suggestions for Saturday..what to do during the day? And I'm not a seafood lover...actually I hate it! Any suggestions for steak houses?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM

A general suggestion to avoid geographical confusions and misconceptions: Google the address in maps, and you will see where the rental is really located.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -