Condos on the beach in FL

Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Condos on the beach in FL

Getting a jump start on Spring Break for 2007. What is the best way to find a nice condo on the beach in FL.? We will be travelling as a family - my husband and I and our 6 year old daughter. Like good restrurants - plus, the option to eat in and rest at condo accomodations. We have not settled on a destination yet as we are open. I have read that Siesta Key and Sanibel are nice. We do NOT want a condo where we have to walk long distance to the beach as we like to walk on the beach in the morning. We will be travelling in April 2007. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated. We have done a week in Gulf Shores AL and enjoyed that - but thought we would try FL. I use to visit my grandparents in Clearwater - but have not been there for years. Thanks so much!!!! We would also be open to some of the hotels that have the condo rentals - I think Marriott is doing quite a bit of those....
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I highly recommend Siesta Key if a great beach is high on your priority list. It's the nicest beach I've been on in the U.S. There are plenty of condos to choose from. We've stayed at the Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club which is right on the beach. All of the units do not have a gulf view as there are 5 buildings, but all are within a few minutes walk to the beach. There are also 2 pools and tennis courts.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I also recommend the Sarasota Surf and Racquet Club. We have stayed there twice. Ask for a room in one of the two towers. You see the beach and gulf right under your window, there is grass in the middle of the 2 tall buildings where children can run and play. The beach is like talcum powder and the waves usually gentle on the gulf. There are tennis courts and BBQ grills for cookouts.
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 01:58 PM

I always rent condos directly from owners thru www.vrbo.com. If you type vrbo.com into the search box up top you will see many other posts about the site.

I agree that Siesta Key has the nicest beaches for walking (I believe Crescent Beach is the best one on the key). The sugary fine white sand reflects heat so it isn't ever too hot for barefoot walking and there aren't shells to make it difficult to walk barefoot.

I recently rented a condo thru vrbo.com for Siesta and found lots and lots of options for the area.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Anna Maria Island is really nice as well, very laid back and family oriented with stunning beaches. Coquina Beach on the south end used to get rated as one of the top beaches in Florida. Of course, Siesta Key is wonderful as well.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:39 PM
wow

vrbo is a good idea. Also try www.tug2.net
We go to Marriott Ocean Pointe which is directly on the beach.It is a timeshare property. If you go to www.tug2.net you can post your own "Want to Rent" ad. Or, if you see a "For Rent" ad you can contact the Owner.You shd rent now for Spring Break 2007. Very popular time of year. You are not early at all! We have already booked for Mid-March! We like Marriott Ocean Pointe b/c it is right on the beach. 5 buildings, 3 pools plus a "kids" pool, hot tubs scattered here & there, volleyball, pool table, computers, "little kids' activities"( plus a playground). Good restaurants w/in walking distance. Water taxi to take you to Clematis Street on Thursday nights! April is a busy time ( especially April 8th , 2007 which is Easter) so you shd really try to get something now.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 05:41 PM
wow

Marriot Ocean Pointe is located on Singer Island(Palm Beach Shores)on Florida's East coast. Closest airport is West Palm (Palm Beach International) which is about 20 minutes away.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:22 PM

my sister in law and aunt go to the tradewindes in st. pete beach. they have a 7 and 5 year old and this is the 3rd time going. there is a lazy river there for the kids...on the beach, near museums, near grapefruit league baseball stadiums and near tampa or florida state aquarium. they have 2 bdr units...they are not like a marriott in that they are not uber luxury but they are clean and newer...my folks have been there too and they are going back this year as well. its nice. marriott does not have anything on the west coast. but hilton does...go to one of the timeshare rental websites and you could probably get a good deal. try redweek.com and or www.myresortnetwork.com
way to plan ahead! you go.
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Hello. I have also used www.vrbo.com with great success and am familiar with the Siesta Key area. Family and friends have also used it. I think all of Siesta Beach is nice, but prefer the southern end of Crescent Beach (closer to the point of rocks). If you want the nice white, sandy beach, make sure you don't get something on Turtle Beach, which is on the southern end of Siesta (you may find something from Fisherman's Cove). It is nice in it's own right, but is more popular among shellers. The beach isn't as nice to "play" in, and has a steep drop off in the water. Crescent beach has a gradully sloping beach which is nice for the kids. I've always preferred beach side with full gulf view - we spoiled ourselves with a unit at Crescent Arms years ago. It is an older building, but most units have modern decor. I prefer the beach side so we don't have to cross the road with the kids. Even a non-water view is nice because you can walk right to the beach. My parents have stayed across the street and had a place with a view of the pulic beach and it was nice (I believe it was Crescent Royale?). Siesta is nice, but can be pricy. I think it is worth it. You may also find something on Longboat Key which may be a bit cheaper. From what I understand, it is more "hidden" (can't really walk to stores/shops/restaurants like on Siesta) but still very nice. FYI, if flying, Tampa is about 50 minutes away, but probably a lot cheaper, if that matters to you.