Search

Sept OR Coast Trip

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sept OR Coast Trip

We are planning a trip to the Oregon coast in late September. We are planning to fly into Seattle and drive south along the coast to leave from San Francisco.

Any suggestions as to what highlights we should not miss? Any B&B suggestions in certain towns? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:05 AM

Just curious. Why are you starting in Seattle instead of Portland?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:52 AM

For me the best single spot on the OR Coast is Cannon Beach and the beach front/cliffside Hallmark motel. The Wayfarer Restaurant next door at about $30 pp is the "best." Cannon Beach is perhaps two square miles, with just motels, restaurants and galleries. Plus a wide beach and cliffs.

The easiest way to get to the OR Coast from SEATAC is via the Portland area (I-5 and then OR-26). The most scenic route is via Longview, WA (I-5) and then into OR using OR 30 to Astoria and the Coast. The most rural is to drive any of a variety of routes to the southwestern WA Coast (e.g., the resort town of Long Beach) and then over the Columbia River Bridge into Astoria.

Then "slowly" drive the whole 350 mile Oregon Coast (US-101) -- its magnificent. In Sept it should almost be "empty." There are so many places to see and stop that none are particularly recommended. Take at least three days and use a tour book.

Oh - can't help mentioning: Bandon in the south that is similar to Cannon Beach -- maybe a bit more upscale. [There, try their candy and salmon fish and chips.] Don't miss the sea lion caves near Florence. Then, the last stop south is Gold Beach where you can take a scary jet boat ride on the Rouge River. [Oh - Newport can be fun, but tacky.]

Once into Calif, the road (101) goes inland, until you get just north (Leggett)of the Mendicino area. The preceeding towns of Eureka and Cresent City are nice for just a drive thru.

Of course you know all about Mendicino -- tho its alot cheaper to stay in Ft. Bragg.

CA 1 is then slow going for 150 miles until you get to Bodega Bay (where Hitchcock filmed "the Birds"). There are two lovely, expensive resort properties there. Then over to Santa Rosa and to SFO on 101 (or a very slow CA 1 sometimes along the Coast to the Golden Gate Bridge) and then SFO.

Comment of B&Bs: Tho we often stay in B&Bs, we haven't on that ride since the better motels are very nice and located directly on the beach. [We never noticed any B&Bs on the beach!]

Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM

AAA makes a good Oregon Coast tour map. You will use it not only for planning but also during your trip. It breaks out pretty much all the attractions you would want to see. If you are not an AAA member, you could probably order the map or buy it through them.

Andrew
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:00 AM

Check out my trip report just a few posts below this one. We did the coast from Newport south. Since we went in April, it will probably be a similar experience in the towns. We didn't find Newport tacky then but I imagine in full summer swing it's a zoo!

Kim
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:05 AM

Just to clarify, the Wayfarer in Cannon Beach is next to the SurfSand Resort, not the Hallmark, and is part of their operation.

You might want to look into the Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach for a place to stay. I have not stayed there, but another poster on here (beachbum) has and says it is a great place for couples.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM

I agree about Cannon Beach, very nice !
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:53 AM

And farther down the coast in Oregon is Yachats and Florence- might want to spend a night in that area -in the Yachats area the Adobe or the Overleaf are ocean front properties you might consider and in Florence is the Driftwood Shores.
In the Florence area try a dune buggy ride- very fun!!! Florence is a cute town with several nice shops and restaurants .
I also highly recommend the Rogue River jet boat ride out of Gold Beach.
The drive between Lincoln City and Florence is one of the prettiest parts of the Oregon portion of your drive so plan on spending some time in that area- not just a drive by
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:26 AM

We've always planned our stops about 75-125 miles apart. 3-4 days of exploring and relaxed driving.
Cannon Beach to Yachats to Bandon works well.
Or you can head further south towards the Redwoods and Gold Beach and Brookings your 3rd night in Oregon.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:30 AM

After an overnight in Bandon or just passing through, stop at the Bandon Bakery in Old Town Bandon (under the welcoming arch). Always a treat.
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM

I would stay in Newport at the Tyee Lodge, say hi to Mark and Cindy. When you get to Bandon, stay a few days and stay at Bandon Beach Vacation Rentals. Go horseback riding on the beach, catch your own crab for dinner and walk the beautiful beaches.