Search

3 nts Oregon coast

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 nts Oregon coast

Hi, doing some prelim planning for a trip at the end of Aug. I am thinking of staying at Cannon Beach, Newport/Florence. However, most of the hotels that are recommended on this site have a 3 night minimum for that time of year. Does anyone know of any decent hotel or B&B that will allow 1 night stays?
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Between Newport and Florence is Yachats where I usually stay - check the Adobe and the Overleaf- I would doubt that they have a 3 night requirement/
also in Florence is the Driftwood Shores- all of these are beachfront
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:21 PM

This place is five miles south of Cannon Beach in Arch Cape, a quiet, mostly residential beach community: http://www.st-bernards.com/. Nice place, and I don't think they have minimum stay requirements.

Cons: Not on the beach (3 minute walk), and;
Ocean views from the rooms (that have them) aren't that great either.
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

I guess my other question would be: is it necessary to split our coast trip to stay at two different locations? Or is it just as easy to pick one base (Cannon Beach or Newport) and just drive around during the day. I'm having trouble gauging driving time between the different locations along the coast.
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM

For driving distance/time, I like Google Maps to get an estimate. For example, if I go to maps.google.com and ask for directions from Newport, OR to Cannon Beach, OR, it estimates a 3 hr drive time - given that 101 goes through a lot of small towns where you need to slow down to 25 or 30mph, that may not be far off, though I'll bet I would do it in maybe 2.5 hrs in average conditions.

I don't think it makes sense to stay in one place and drive back and forth from, say, Newport to Cannon Beach and back. I'd start north and go south or vice-versa. Take it slow enough to give yourself plenty of time to stop at the parks and viewpoints along the way - the coast as you expect is gorgeous.

And as always, I recommend getting a copy of the AAA Oregon Coast tour map, which has a nice breakdown of the various sites on the coast.

Andrew
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
trippinkpj

I personally like the Newfort/Yachats/Florence area better than Cannon Beach. Although, I have a friend who stayed at a condo there and loved it.

Old May 6th, 2006, 06:11 PM

http://www.innatcapekiwanda.com/
why not use here as a base of operations?
It's nice, the brewery and restaurant are right there....it's rollin'
Old May 6th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Truth be told, except for the dunes, you can see generally similar scenery regardless of where you go. So I'd recommend parking yourself in one spot, and doing some driving, but not much. The where to park depends on what you want to do and see. For the most do/see options, pick Newport or Yachats. If you're looking more for a relaxing Oregon beach experience, pick Cannon Beach. Honestly, I think you'll be happy with either.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:28 AM

last august we drove from crescent city,ca north to lincoln city in 1 day,then north to port angeles,wa the next. i realize this is a much faster pace than most people prefer but the best part of the whole coast for us was a place called the bandon to charleston tour near coos bay. what a beautiful area. there is a point you can drive out to which is on cliffs above the ocean and you can watch 100's of giant sea lions below you on the rocks and on small islands. awesome! another thing i hadn't heard of was the amount of fog rolling in everywhere along the coast-something to consider. lincoln city is real nice as well.