Oregon Coast Advice

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Oregon Coast Advice

We'll be taking my parents to the Oregon Coast in September and were wondering what some of your favorite attractions were.

Have any of you done any fishing with any of the charters down there or know of any local people who take people out fishing for a fee?

I was also wondering about hotels right on the beach - does anyone recommend one they stay at that is around the $100 - $150 range? Thanks!
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Do you have a particular area of the coast you are interested in - might help to narrow it down a bit
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I haven't been out in over 10 years, but look for a charter from Newport, where I'd guess you'll have several options. Depot Bay might be okay too, but the narrow channel there might put their nerves on end.

Check out the Sylvia Beach Hotel in Newport. We've stayed there a couple times. It's a B&B sort of place, with each room themed after a famous writer/author (I wouldn't recommend the Poe room!). Travel & Leisure just rated it as one of the best places to stay on the coast (though I would disagree with them).

There are several other attractions not too far from Newport, including the Oregon Coast Acquarium, Haceta Head lighthouse near Yachats, and the Oregon dunes, just south of Florence.

If you end up on the north part of the coast, don't miss Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:23 PM

More on Newport. We were just in Newport and stayed in the F. Scott Fitzgerald room in the Sylvia Beach Hotel, which Beachbum mentions in her post. It is on a bluff above the beach, with paths to the beach just out the doors. The beach is very wide and flat.
The Sylvia Beach Hotel is quite an experience! It's in a historic building and is somewhat the worse for wear, but we enjoyed our stay. It has lots of stairs up to the rooms, so if stairs are a problem for your parents, it wouldn't be a good choice. It has a library that people sit in at night and read and watch the ocean out the window. There are lots of board games, too. The whole reading concept is very clever for the Oregon coast, where the weather is often not condusive to spending much time outside.
The breakfasts are included in the charge and are quite good. The evening meal is an experience, served family style, with ice breakers so you meet your fellow diners.
We went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium also, this trip, and it is world class.

The Yaquina Head lighthouse, which you can see from Nye Beach, has a good interpretive center with a film on the lighthouse and coastal animals and features, as well as displays of the lighthouse and wildlife, among other things. You can go to the top of the lighthouse and there are periodic ranger led walks.

There are also tidal pools at Yaquina Head that are accessible to people with disabilities, including people in wheelchairs. You need to visit them at low tide, though, as the tidepools aren't visible at high tide. The tidepools were made from an old quarry site.

The rocks around the lighthouse are covered with birds that you can view through telescopes. I can finally identify a few coastal birds!

Don't forget to bring binoculars when you come to the coast.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:26 PM

We love Dock of the Bay in Lincoln City. They have 2 bedroom units that might be nice for you & your parents. You're in close driving distance to the Oregon Aquarium, tide pools, a lighthouse, and Devils Punchbowl. Mo's is a restaurant right down the street that has a great traditional coastal feel to it. You can rent crab traps from the candy store, if you'd like to give crabbing a try. The beach right outside is great for night time campfires too.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:39 PM

They still playing Two Truths and a Lie at Sylvia Beach, Orcas? And is the food as good as I remember it? I was quite surprised that Travel & Leisure rated it so highly given that I remember it as you described it: a little on the tired side.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:06 PM

The Sylvia Beach would definately not appeal to everyone- it really is on the tired side - but for people who like something a little eclectic- its great!.
we stayed in one of the dorm rooms - that was a fun experience.
there is also an excellent restaurant right across the street from the Sylvia Beach - dont remember the name though- just know they had good food
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Yep. It was two truths and a lie as the ice breaker. I'll be ready next time! It was a lot of fun. The food is still great and the dinner was quite inexpensive. (They serve mulled wine in the library at 10 PM every night, by the way.)
The restaurant across the street is called "April's." We didn't eat there, but it had a lot of stickers posted from NW Best Places, so we thought it must be quite good. There are two nice wine shops nearby, some coffee shops, bookstores (of course) and nice gift shops. Plus the area's performing arts center is right nearby.

Other close hotels on Nye Beach include the Elizabeth Street Inn and the Hallmark (which should be very nice, but probably is more expensive).