first time to Oregon looking on the coast

Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

first time to Oregon looking on the coast

Hi all it's our first trip to Oregon and I am searching all over for ideas. I think we are looking around Seaside,Cannon Beach, Oceanside. We are really flexable so far. We are going in May. We are looking for something Ocean Front maybe so we can see whales(do we see whales that time of year?)
Well totally open to any suggestions. Food ones too thank you in advance
Jan 4th, 2006, 09:20 AM

If you want luxury lodging, the Stephanie Inn is really nice. I would suggest a meal here even if you don't stay. Unfortunately, John Nelson has left and is purchasing a restaurant in CB, but you will be in very good hands with the new EC, Crystal Corbin. Also, right next door is the Ocean Lodge which was voted "best view from a hotel room" recently.

In Cannon Beach I would suggest meals at Bistro and Gower St. Both are very good and also Mo's for a casual meal with views of Haystack Rock.

In Seaside, Inn of the Four Winds is very nice, right on the prom with oceanviews from the rooms. In this area Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe (Gearhart) is excellent, Bigfoot Pub & Grub and Sam's Seaside Cafe for a nice casual meal. We also like the steamer clams at the Shilo which has gorgeous views of Tillamook Head. Check out Lil Bayou for great Cajun food in Seaside.

Make sure you visit Astoria also, where you will find lots to keep you busy with the shops, restaurants and museums. Our exhibit "Art of the Decoy" will be on display at the Columbia River Maritime Museum for several months. Have fun! ***kim***
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:08 AM

I think you miss the whales by a month or two, Cleo. What kind of accommodations are you looking for? Hotel/motel/B&B, or home/condo rental?

Hopefully, the following will help narrow your search.

Seaside is the oldest and largest of the places you mention. During high season (though May is too early) it has an almost carnival-like atmosphere, complete with arcades, bumper cars, a "carousel", cotton candy and corn dogs. Essentially, it's Oregon's version of the Jersey Shore.

Cannon Beach is quite a bit smaller, with more high-end retail (though still somewhat beach-kitschy), and a cutesy, artsy beach town ambience. The beach and surrounding scenery is unparalleled on the Oregon coast, IMO.

Oceanside is much smaller and more quiet, with more of a community feel. The beach there is great, and surrounding scenery is spectacular. But I think the town's size and relative isolation would limit you in terms of accommodations and dining.

My personal fave of the three is Cannon Beach, although I think Oceanside would be great for a week's home rental in the summer.
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:17 AM

If you get lucky the weather may be nice, but you should still expect rain in NW Oregon in May.

Cannon Beach and Seaside are close together but very different; Seaside is more of your traditional beach town with typical beach town stuff, while Cannon Beach is quite a bit smaller, more artistic-looking, less commercial (no chain restaurants), and kind of ritzy.

I doubt you will see whales. Actually I suggest driving along the coast not just staying put at one place for a few days. Highway 101 between Tillamook and Lincoln City is mostly inland. Another option (you are coming from Portland perhaps?) is to drive out to Lincoln City and head south through Newport and beyond. Or you could start in Astoria and drive down to Newport - then you would see a lot of beautiful scenery, although you'd be inland for a while as I said on 101. Maybe stay one night in Cannon Beach, one night in Newport, or two each place.

If you belong to AAA - or even if you don't - AAA has a nice Oregon Coast tour map that breaks out most of the highlights of the coast for you. I highly recommend it.

Andrew
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the replies. I am still not sure where we are going.More searching now with more ideas!! Thank you again
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:57 PM
mms

My personal preference is for Cannon Beach. Are you looking for accommodations for a couple or a family? Have you thought of a price range yet?

If you do a search for these towns you will find LOTS of information, and some of it is quite lively
Jan 5th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Since you ask--Cannon Beach. We like Schooner's Cove, which has big rooms with ocean views and which is a short walk from shops and restaurants.
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:04 AM

One of our posters is too modest. Her husband set up the Art of the Decoy and she must be very proud..
I have yet to visit Astoria, but we DO love Cannon Beach.
Andrew, happytrailstoyou, mms and beachbum are long time residents, so I usually follow their recommendations.
I liked Mo's for clam chowder, be sure to look at the Tsnumani photos by the register when you leave!
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:11 AM

cleo, you may want to pick up an issue of Oregon Coast magazine since this is your first trip over to the coast. Lots of valuable info and photos. ***kim***
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Scarlett & all, to me taking US 30 to Astoria is a must do. It's satisfying to follow the Columbia along Lewis And clark's route. We like to take the ferry running between Cathlamet Washington and Westport, Oregon.
http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/hwysofw...olRivBr02.html

http://englishriverwebsite.com/Lewis...ort_ferry.html
We leave or come to Astoria over the 101 Bridge, always. Either way, it's really cool. Do the column and eat at Ships Inn for fish and chips,
then start exploring the town. Boats, streetcars, Gingerbread Mansions, Canneries;
Lindstrom's Danish Bakery for Scandanavian Baked Goods and local insight-you'll love it.
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Hi bbqboy!
Yes, Astoria and the Cannery etc are all on my verrry long list of things to do and places to see in Oregon!
Good Grief ! there is a lot to do here!
We met a couple with 2 Standad poodles here in town and found that they own a nice gallery in Seaside so we have to take Pup and go visit them again too.
Guess we will wait a while for better weather though
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Sorry- the gallery is in Cannon Beach.
Jan 6th, 2006, 12:43 PM

cleo13 if you do go to Astoria, check out the Valley Bronze Gallery in downtown Astoria, across from the Liberty Theater, it's just beautiful and re-located from CB a couple of years ago, probably to have a more spacious showroom with lower rent. Definitely worth a visit if you're into art. ***kim***
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:43 PM

Regardless of which route Lewis and Clark took way back when, today Highway 26 to Astoria is a better route (and faster) from Portland. I don't think the drive out Highway 30 has any particularly amazing scenery (the great Columbia River scenery around here is in the Gorge east of Portland). One point of note, however: the Trojan Nuclear Power Plant cooling tower (the plant has been shut down for years) is going to be demolished in May, so if that sort of thing interests you, you might drive by it on Highway 30 one last time before they blow it up.

Andrew
Jan 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I might be the only one to vote againt Cannon Beach. I loved visiting there when I was a child; when I returned two summers ago, after having been away some 20 years, I was shocked at how touristy, crowded, and yuppie it had become. If you are looking for peace and quiet, I would recommend the Manzanita-Nehelem-Wheeler area, and especially the Old Wheeler Inn, which is a wonderful place to stay. It overlooks a river that empties into the ocean; no whales (obviously!), but lots of other wildlife.
Jan 8th, 2006, 05:59 PM

On the other hand, if you didn't spend your childhood in Cannon Beach, when you go there you will quicklly understand why it is so highly recommended. In addition to what the town itself has to offer, there are beautiful Oregon State Parks short drives north and south of Cannon Beach.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM

I agree with Happy, Oswald West State Park is beautiful. It's a short hike back to the cove, but a gorgeous walk. I'm on the Oreogn Coast right now and just dined at Gower St. Cannon Beach is pretty quiet this time of year. ***kim***
Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:38 PM

I am sure by May it will not be so rainy and stormy or so quiet at the beach.
We have been to Cannon Beach a couple of times since moving here and I find it very charming.
The look of the town and the shingled buildings and homes with pretty gardens and the shops.
I think the SurfSand Resort ( www.surfsand.com ) has fireplaces in their rooms. I do know they have all sorts of rooms, with ocean views and allow dogs.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:02 PM

Actually, it could quite well be raining on the coast through June, on and off...

Andrew
Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:31 AM

I understand what Tracey14 means about Cannon Beach - the town has become unbearably crowded in the summer (and a bit too precious for me) but if you're looking for shopping and restaurants, Cannon Beach is great. The beach and state parks are still beautiful.

If you're looking for a sit on the beach and read a book vacation, Oceanside would be a good choice.

Oceanside

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO