Recommend Beach in Tampa Area

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend Beach in Tampa Area

I will be taking my two girls, ages 9 and 13, to the Tampa area for a week in June. Our absolute favorite beach is Siesta Key. However, we want to do something different. We are looking for the same kind of atmosphere, beach,etc. We want to be near attractions, but really prefer quieter areas to heavily populated beaches. I have been looking at the Treasure Island or Indian Shores area. What would you recommend and why? Also, can you suggest condos in the areas. We prefer condos to hotels. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Well, like you, our absolute favorite beach is Siesta Key. We went back to the gulf this year, but decided to try a different place, so we went a little farther south (Venice, Manasota & Englewood Beaches). Can tell you that these beaches don't compare to Siesta in any way, shape or form. Now, they are a little further south, and being as you are considering staying farther north, don't know what Treasure or Indian Shores will be like. Someone else here surely will be able to help with that. But, I will say, that we were homesick for Siesta and actually ventured up there to spend two days on their beach because it is so nice. And with that said, we've learned our lesson not to change!
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Best beach in the area is Pass A Grille
located at the southern tip of
St. Pete beach. You could not ask for a nicer beach in all of the West Coast including Siesta Key.
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 04:15 PM

There is more to do in this area for 9-13 year olds than in Siesta Key. A lot of families go to Treasure Island because it's a lot of fun -- goofy golf, ice cream shops, loads of shopping. Siesta Key is beautiful but sometimes all that beauty can be lost on teens. If you prefer quieter areas to heavily populated beaches then I'd suggest either Pass-a-Grille which has been mentioned; Sunset Beach on the south end of Treasure Island; or Ft. DeSoto for day trips (it's a park, only campground there). In the summer people from Tampa head to the beaches, especially families with kids.

And if you want to stay at a condo, I don't think there are any at Passe-a-Grille. There is one in the middle of Sunset Beach, called the Sunset Chateau. There is a nicer one with more amenities at the southern tip of Sunset Beach, I can try to drum up the name if you're interested.

What are you looking for in a condo? There are many but TI is mostly hotels. The next island north, Madiera Beach, is all condos. Do you want to stay at a beach that is all condos?

Give me some feedback about what you are looking for in a place to stay, and what it is you like about condos. Then I can over a rec.

Old Jan 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
OliveOyl

Land's End=south tip of TI.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Thanks, OO. Lands End is the condo at the southern tip of Sunset Beach, which is at the Southern end of Treasure Island.

This web site offers some phone numbers and hotel and condo links on Treasure Island:
www.treasure-island-hotels-hotels.bdir.com

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! We don't have to have a condo. I prefer the extra space and having a kitchen. We usually eat breakfast and lunch in the room and have dinner out. We could still do a hotel though. Please recommend any lodging you think we might be interested in. We are looking for something gulf front with a balcony. Also, we must have a pool. That is about all the requirements we have. Thanks again.

Melanie
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Based on info people gave you above, I also started looking into Pass-a-grill, and if you go to Loews Hotels website, there is a nice looking and historic hotel in this area (St. Pete beach)--the Don Cesar Resort Hotel which also has a separate unit with beach suites, I believe. You can also get info on the resort at www.doncesar.com. Anyone ever stayed here???
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 09:17 AM
OliveOyl

I've stayed there...a busman's holiday for our anniversary last January. It is my favorite hotel on the beach, and the most upscale of them all from Pass-a-Grille to CWB.

We had a suite, rooms are small but VERY very nicely done. Tropical decor can be overdone...this isn't. It was recently renovated and they did a terrific job. Our balcony overlooked the pool area (also redone) and beach. Unfortunately it turned out to be a frigid weekend, one of the few we get occasionally, so we couldn't make good use of the facilities. The evening of our 34th anniversary we watched from our balcony as two couples were married at sunset on the beach, (brrr) and from afar, wished them the same terrific times we've had...thinking back to our own wedding (warmer than this one although ours was in Virginia Beach) and all that has transpired for us since, and will for them as well. I hope...

Back to the Don, as stated, their pool area is recently redone and quite nice. There are small dunes separating that from the beach, which like most beaches in this area, is lovely.

If I hear complaints about the hotel, it is usually about the size of the bathrooms, but you must keep in mind, it IS a historic hotel, and that is reflected in room dimensions. Your room will not be huge, and the bathrooms certainly are not. That is no problem for me as the rest more than makes up for that and they certainly weren't so small as to be in the least uncomfortable or unpleasant. This is not a modern box--it is full of character. It has a fascinating history--was saved from destruction to come back to what it is now. We have friends who grew up in the area and who remember it when it was boarded up, close to being taken down. Thank goodness it was saved because it surely is a beauty now! The other really outstanding hotel in St Pete, the Vinoy, (not on the beach, but downtown, such as it is) has a similar history and same wonderful recovery.

The Don was bought by Loews this year and I feel certain they will continue the same level of service as was enjoyed under previous management. They have a beautiful property!

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 09:43 AM
EudoraS

We were just down in St. Petersburg Beach, so we looked at Don Cesar and Tradewinds, and setteld on the latter. The Don was nice, with smallish rooms, but taken care of. But the crowd in the lobby was a bit older for what we had in mind, and Tradewinds seem livelier. But honestly, either venue is nice, and we did love Tradewinds, and would stay there again. This was our first time in the area, but our views about the two places seemed to match others who go each year. But youd need to get the view of someone who really knows whats available along there. But no matter, the beach is the absolute best.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:02 AM

We love Anna Maria Island, between Tampa & Siesta Key, might be a bit quiet but very 'untouristy'! Runaway Bay condo's brilliant.
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 10:28 AM
OliveOyl

Actually, "EudoraS", the Don attracts virtually all ages, enough so that they also have a kids program. The weekend we were there, as has been the case anytime we've stopped off at their poolside cafe, there were numerous families with very young children, plus those of "marrying age", on up to us and beyond...gasp...older folks who might enjoy a tango even. lol It is a more expensive hotel than the others, however, which translates to a more affluent crowd, and tends toward the older side of the equation, rather than younger, but we are talking the preponderance of guests being families with a pretty fair discretionary income. Drop by their pool on one of your walks and take a look poolside.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Ginger35b

The Don Cesar simply cannot be beat! We loved our romantic getaway package, which included complimentary breakfast by the pool at their patio by the beach entry. The service was top-notch and the food delightful.

But make no mistake this is an expensive hotel, and deservedly so. It has been refurbished over the years, and maintains itsdlf very nicely. The restaurant inside is the best place to eat in that part of the Gulf. The clientelle is well off, this is not debatable, thus it does seem to be on the older, if not elderly side. We saw some kids, but very few.

we recommend the Don very highly, and if you're over 55 or that environs, I think you'll fit in better and feel more like the other inhabitrants. Have a good time, by all means.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:44 PM

I think your girls will love the Tradewinds on St. Pete Beach (and make sure you book the correct Tradewinds because there are a few). And you will like it too -- the rooms are HUGE. Complete kitchens, big living rooms, balconies, and they're not too bad on the budget. They have this funky little lazy river with swans that winds around this very large complex. This is a resort. There are lots of families that stay here. And that stretch of St. Pete Beach has my favorite beach bar, the Swigwam.

And I think your girls will love Treasure Island, especially the part of the island where there are many activities (not Sunset Beach). There will be many other families there, and there's always something going on in Treasure Island. Loads of shopping just across the street. Bring a kite, there's a million kites flying on this super-wide beach.

But I think they will be bored at the Don.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM
OliveOyl

Hark...the tap tap tap of the tango dancer!

Hugglynn...It's Freaky Friday, so you might want to take a look at other posts by eudora and ginger, "both" of whom were created just for the occasion this afternoon, have popped up on a couple of threads, and now both have erased "their" identities. The games people play...not very well I might add, monsier! This is ongoing, and unfortunately as with the San Jose/SF problem, it detracts from information available.

OK...I assure you Hugglynn, should you decide on the Don, you will not be surrounded by doddering old tango dancers, nor will you feel out of place if you come with your family. It's a terrific place with a beautiful beach--great ambience. It does boast 350 something weddings a year, which in itself should lead you away from Tango's, assertion that it's the over the hill crowd. It's costly but lovely. Costly is not a deterrent for all families, as evidenced not just by this crowd, but the Ritz in Naples and Amelia Island, Hyatt Coconut Point etc, it's a new day and age with dual income families.

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I'm sure those girls of yours will be just thrilled to death to hear they will be spending a week at the wedding capital of St. Pete Beach. The Don is elegance and romance. The pool is wonderful but no water slides. The daquiris are terrific but no slurpies.

OO, maybe you need to take a spot poolside at the Don for about a week so you can get this out of your system. I know there's almost no place better in the whole world than the Don but those girls are not going to think like you or me. A pink hotel is a pink hotel to them.

No?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:21 PM
OliveOyl

Tandoori Girl, I was addressing Hugglynn, not UGA, but I'll guarantee they can make anything the girls would like, and lack of waterslides haven't kept families from any of the resorts mentioned above. If you have been poolside you realize that this is far from the over 55 crowd, that families also love it.

Actually, my issue is with eudora/ginger, who, unfortunately, has an agenda which has virtually nothing to do with this thread and one which will zip right over most posters heads--yours included as you are relatively new on these boards. He is not...

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM

OO, what is E/Gs agenda?
Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:38 PM
OliveOyl

Do you have a hotmail address?

Old Jan 9th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Give me yours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information