clearwater beach or st pete beach

May 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

clearwater beach or st pete beach

Going to be in this area.. want to stay four nights in either st pete beach area or clearwater beach area (are continuing on to tampa for a few days to visit friends).
Never been to any of these areas so any info would help.
We want to stay on the beach. Like shopping,good restaurants, fun beach, museums, and water activities. Any advice appreciated!!
May 18th, 2003, 08:29 PM

I have stayed at two hotels in the Clearwater area and recommend the Hilton Clearwater Beach Hotel. The beach is very large and made of soft white sand, and the gulf water is very calm, with not much in the way of waves or fish to see if snorkeling. It is a great spot to rent a wave runner. The hotel location is good and you can walk to many small local tourist shops, also a Subway deli and pharmacy are a few blocks away, as is the harbor with many tour boat excursions. Last year the rooms were OK and I would rate the hotel to be a solid three out of five stars, and to be the best hotel that I have stayed at in Clearwater, mainly because of it's location on the beach, private pool and jacuzzi. I think this will be a good choice for a family hotel.
You may find a less occupied beach across the bridge in the Sand Key area, and if you stay in a hotel there I believe that there is less in terms of activities and shops within walking distance.
May 25th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

any others?
May 25th, 2003, 03:34 PM
scm

I also recently stayed at the Clearwater Beach Hilton and agree that it was average. Room were typical of a beach hotel. Very pretty beach, lots of activity in the vicinity. St Pete Beach is also nice. Not as many restaurants, night life as in Clearwater - beach is good. The Don Cesar (sp?) in St. Pete Beach is very nice. I have stayed at the Tradewinds and could not recommend it.
May 25th, 2003, 07:29 PM

If you are younger and childless, then Clearwater is probably your best bet. If you are going for family oriented, then I would say St. Pete Beach. Many of the museums are in downtown St. Pete and depending on traffic/time of day, it could take about 45 minutes to get to them.
Jun 1st, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

any other suggestions
Jun 1st, 2003, 02:21 PM

St. Petes for sure. Try the Don Cesar hotel.
Jun 1st, 2003, 03:14 PM
OliveOyl

Please please please, northwestmom, it's St. Pete Beach, not St Pete's! St Pete's hurts my ears, to say nothing of the fact that it smacks of the old joke...God's Waiting Room!!

I do agree on the Don though. It's the best hotel on the entire strip from St Pete to Clearwater, hands down. Beach and beach alone, (removing the town from the equation) CWB is the prettiest.

Jul 8th, 2003, 08:01 PM

St. Pete Beach is awesome... The best restaurant down there is Philthy Phils Waterfront. It's on 75th Avenue.
Jul 8th, 2003, 10:42 PM

not sure about clearwater or st. petes. but be careful driving in Tampa. Their road system is crazy. For example, I got into a turn lane that dead-ended into a sidewalk...
(To the tune of Sweet Home Alabama)
*Sweet Home my Tampa*
*The street signs don't tell you where you are*
Sweet Home my Tampa yeah*
*If you drive there with your brother and your friend to see the dave mathews band....you better damn sure rent a car*!!