Clearwater or St Pete's?

Search

Clearwater or St Pete's?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearwater or St Pete's?

Trying to decide which place to go for 5 nights around April 10th with a 22 month old and husband. I heard good things about St Pete's and was interested in staying at the Alden, but then my MIL said Clearwater is much better. Can anyone give me their opinion on this? We are looking to relax, be on the beach, have a pool for the little guy, and have a room with a kitchen and a separate bedroom for naptime. Also at nightime we have a separate room to watch tv, have a drink, or listen to the ocean...
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:34 AM

If you choose Clearwater be careful where you stay, as some of the hotels don't have much of a beach in front of them. The Adams Mark Sand Key Hotel does have a nice beach, but I don't know anything about the rooms.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM

With a toddler, I would definately go for St. Petes (assuming you mean ST.P. Beach).

Clearwater is hustle and bustle. Teenagers galore.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:43 AM

I have been to both places. Clearwater seems to me to be much more of an active younger adults place......activities....clubs...that sort of thing. St Pete beach is quieter.....good for older people and also good for young families as well. I have stayed at the Alden Beach Resort and it is a wonderful, friendly place.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:59 AM

There are two Clwr. beaches. On one end, south of the Clwr. Pier, is the highly developed area with lots of high-rise hotels, condos. And they have built close to the shore, including, IMO, the Adams Mark (or the beach has eroded). North of the pier is a part of the beach that is nicer but unfortunately, there's no place to recommend. I used to love the Clearwater Beach Hotel but they are going to be turning it into a resort and the last time I was there the pool was disgusting.

I'd go for the Alden.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 08:12 AM
TravelsHappy

Easy one ... Treasure Island, great beach venue. Enjoy!!

Old Feb 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input, I think I'll trust my own advice and ignore the MIL and go with St Pete's Beach.

Now for what to do there with a toddler? Do you think it's a good idea to rent a car and should we rent or bring our carseat? Also, what places are good and kid friendly?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Yes, rent a car. FL is not geared to mass transit and although there is a beach trolley, you don't want to be tied to it. Also, for the cost of getting from the airport to the beach and back, you will not save much. And you will not pay for parking in SPB. Yes, bring a carseat, it's the law. Or you could look into renting one from the car rental.

Many kid-friendly things for toddlers are elsewhere. Although St. Pete has lots of goofy golf and boat rentals. try the Sunken Gardens with the Childrens Musuem attached. In Tampa, there's Busch Gardens and Adventure Island (both have toddler areas), Lowry Park Zoo, the Florida Aquarium, and the Museum of Science and Industry. And there are plenty of parks in St. pete that are good places for the toddler to toddle off all his/her energy. The pool will be your best friend. Use lots of sun screen and try not to be in the sun at the hottest part of the day.

Another spot that does not have resort amenities (but there are lots of tennis courts and golf courses all around you) is the Bonaire. It has spacious apartments and is cheaper than the Alden or Tradewinds.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:43 AM

Avoid the Clearwater Beach Hotel. Just spend a few nights there sharing the room with palmetto bugs and ants. It's run down and not clean and there is inadequate parking.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:50 AM

I agree with others that St Pete Beach is the place to go. Much quieter and family friendly, IMHO. I've stayed many many times at the Dolphin Beach resort (www.dolphinbeach.com) and can say that it is clean, right on the beach, and family friendly. There are always families with young children around. This place has been around for many years. I first started staying there in 1972. It isn't your sleak high rise with multiple elevators.. but it IS a great location.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:59 AM

I also recommend St. Pete Beach (legally shortened from the original name of St. Petersburg Beach). It's a quieter, more family oriented area, and the beaches are fine. However, Treasure Island beaches are also very nice, and so is Sunset Beach, somewhat hidden between the two. So you have lots of choices in that area.

Clearwater and its beaches, as you can tell on the map, is considerably farther north. And you've already been well informed that it's a bit more hectic, a bit more traffic, and bit more teenagers throwing parties, and so forth.

While in Treasure Island or St. Pete Beach, take a quick drive to Pass-a-Grille and enjoy the beach there. It's a most pleasant spot, unknown to many tourists. There are 3 or 4 good restaurants located there, as well as a few motels and several small mom-and-pop hotels that are generally nice and can be found with kitchenettes.