Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best beach town between Clearwater and St. Petes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are planning a trip to the Clearwater/St. Petes area in mid-June. Family of 4 - 2 kids, 6 and 9. I have looked at all the little beach town in between, but would love some tips on which is best.

We like someplace that is low key, but still has a touristy feel. We don't need any fancy nightlife or over the top tourist stuff or overcrowded beaches - just want to it feel fun and vacation-y. Most of the time we will probably spend on the beach. A few fun casual restaurants and cute shops would be great. And the more affordable end of the spectrum would be great, but not if we have to sacrifice the things above. Being on the beach, with out hotel, rental or condo, is a must. So a community with ample choices right on the beach is great.

Which town would be the best match? I was looking at Madeira Beach. But am open to any. We have never been there before.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM

Clearwater Beach is nice. The Wyndham and Holiday Inn are both great hotels for kids. Don't stay @ Shepards.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Go a little further south and rent a condo on the beach at Siesta Key (near Sarasota). It's exactly what you've described.
Old Jan 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM
cd

We like John's Pass in Madeira for a fun day ! Your kids are the perfect age for the Pirate Boat there! Google and check out what all they offer. We also like St Pete's Beach to stay on. Lots to do, Ft Desota Beach. Great area
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I had a coworker who vacations in Clearwater Beach every year also suggest just sticking with there. But I was having a hard time finding rates on the beach there that were comparable with Madiera. What will I be sacrificing if I choose Madiera over Clearwater Beach? Visiting Winter the dolphin is a must-do for us, as my daughter is a huge fan of the movie. So we'll visit CWB for sure. But will I be missing out on a lot of we don't actually stay there? I have found so many great deals in Madiera. I would love to take advantage of one of them, but not if its a disappointing area.
Old Jan 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
cd

I guess it's a personal thing. What in Clearwater does your coworker recommend? We stayed once and the only thing we really enjoyed was" Frenchy's on the Beach" grouper sandwiches. The beach was too wide. We stayed oceanfront and it was still a lonnnnnnng walk to the water's edge. Maybe not all places are like that but if it's important to you, I would check with the hotel before booking. I would prefer Madiera hands down, or St Pete's Beach. But in the end, it's a personal opinion and you will have fun no matter where you decide to stay!