Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Clearwater Beach, St. Pete Beach or Treasure Isle?

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still trying to find a place for our first 3 nights in FL. We have a week after that at Longboat Key but thought we'd like to stay closer to Busch Gardens for the first 3. What are the differences between these 3 areas? More or less congested? Beach quality? Undertow? Looking for a nice place less that $160 per night...pool...on the gulf....not a million kids and families. Considering the Bon Aire or the Thunderbird in TI...any opinins on these places?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:28 PM

Whenever in the area I have always stayed on Clearwater Beach. I's a nice area with a good beach, marina, lots to do ,etc. I've never had a problem with kids there either. I prefer CB over TI.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:14 PM

When are you coming here? Have had "red tide" for couple months. The beach area smells,it kills lots of fish,its an algae bloom in water. I live here-prettiest beach is St Pete Beach. Thunderbird is an older motel. If going to Treasure Island area go to John's Pass Village.Fishing village w/shops and restaurants.Clearwater Beach attracts the younger crowds and worst traffic.Fort Desoto Park is also very very pretty and close to St Pete Beach.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM

If you want to stay near the beach, I would vote for Treasure Isle. Clearwater beach is usually very crowded with lots of young people. St Pete beach is ok, but my favorite is Sand Key. There is also Ft Desoto with miles of beach and never very crowded. There are only very commercial hotels in Tampa near Busch Gardens and the location leaves something to be desired. The Thunderbird is an old, tired hotel. Check to make sure the red tide is gone.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:56 PM

I haven't been on the beach for about a week, but when I was last out there, I didn't notice the red tide or the dead fish in the water like before, and I don't smell it around my home anymore either and I live right at the southern tip of Pinellas County, near Ft. DeSoto Park. Haven't heard anything about the red tide on the local news either lately. There are some very nice hotels on SP Beach, and the beach is beautiful. A very short drive away is Ft. DeSoto, voted #1 beach this year in the country. Also Pass-a-Grille Beach very close with the Hurricane restaurant and others, and more nice beach. SP Beach is much less crowded than Clearwater Beach, and there is a much younger crowd in Clearwater, and I can't stand downtown Clearwater, it is congested and ugly and overrun with Scientologists, it seems like they're all over the place downtown (no offense to anyone). John's Pass is also a nice place to visit if you stay on any of the southern Pinellas County beaches, as well as heading over to downtown St. Petersburg, nice town to walk around in, large movie complex, restaurants, shops, the bayfront is pretty, the Pier, etc. You can take the trolley from the beach to downtown St. Pete and back if you don't feel like driving, I think the trolley is $1 each way.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:53 AM

The beach is very deep at the Thunderbird, that turns some people off. It's about a city half-block from the hotel to the shore. You walk through sea oats and open space. If that bothers you and you want Treasure Island then consider the Island Inn Resort which gets good reports. The Thunderbird is older but quite nice -- good restaurants, good pool, good tiki bar. Good location with TI's little downtown just across the street. The nearby VIP lounge, Ricky T's, good places for drinks, food music.

In St. Pete, the Bonaire is closer to the beach, spacious apartments, but not the amenities at the Thunderbird. Not close to the St. Pete beach downtown but still strip shopping across the street.

I don't go to Clearwater because I've not been happy with any places I've stayed at over there. Their beaches are very nice although they've built most hotels too close to the shore so not a lot of beach in spots. Maybe someone will have some reps for Clrw. but I don't.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:10 AM

We stayed in a section of Clearwater Beach where there wasn't much beach at all. We were at the Holiday Inn Sunspree and couldn't take much of a walk because there was rock in front of some hotels, with no beach.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Clearwater Beach has a nice Sunset at the Pier with street performers, crafts, etc. The kids will enjoy that.
Many young people at Clearwater--seems like.
I think the beaches down towards St. Pete are nice.
Nothing is very far--St. John's Pass is nice with some restaurants etc.
Seems like there are tons of older mom & pop motels--
I recall reading a review about a hotel on St. Pete beach that sounded nice--do a search and maybe you can find some more info.
Enjoy and hope the red tide is gone--don't count on the hotel people being honest if you ask about it....they told us it was fine and it definitely was not fine!
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM

I think a "million kids and families" depends on the time of year you are there.

The Island Inn is a real decent place. Not fancy, but clean and friendly. All rooms are oceanfront with a small balcony and kitchenettes. The water is beautiful, clear, warm. I was not, however, crazy about the sand. It's not real soft. But other than that, it was a beautiful beach. The Island Inn is almost at the end of TI, so I imagine St. Pete Beach (the beach itself) is pretty much the same. We drove into St. Pete Beach and it looked really nice..a little more upscale looking (especially near the Don Cesar). The Bon Aire looked nice. We had considering staying there. TI is a blast from the past. All the properties are very 50's.

There's a great outdoor bar and grill called Caddy's within walking distance of Island Inn.

Have a great trip!