Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Need help with chosing hotel in Clearwater,Tampa,or St Petersburg area

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are staying in Orlanda for several days and then want to spend two nights in Tampa/Clearwater/St Petersburg area. We have never been to this part of Florida, and are looking for sightseeing spots,hotel on great beach,great restaurants any info would help. We will be there mid January, I know it will probably be cool,but we like staying on the beach. Also we will be flying home out of Tampa. thanks for everyones help in advance. JulieR
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:34 PM

Hi Julie,

We love the Alden on St. Pete's Beach...
very quiet, oceanfront, inexpensive, and on one of the longest beaches... great for walking & shelling, especially after a storm

Sweet spot... enjoy!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 04:25 AM

For a real treat, the Don Cesear in St. Pete Beach is a world famous hotel.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:14 AM

I have stayed at two hotels in the clearwater area and recommend the Hilton Clearwater Beach Hotel. The beach is very large and made of soft white sand, and the gulf water is very calm, with not much in the way of waves or fish to see if snorkeling. It is a great spot to rent a wave runner. The hotel location is good and you can walk to many small local tourist shops, also a Subway deli and pharmacy are a few blocks away, as is the harbor with many tour boat excursions. Last visited the Hilton in April, the rooms were OK and I would rate the hotel to be a solid three out of five stars, and to be the best hotel that I have stayed at in Clearwater, mainly because of it's location on the beach, private pool and jacuzzi. I think this will be a good choice for a family hotel. Here is a link: www.clearwaterbeachresort.com

You may find a less occupied beach across the bridge from Clearwater in the Sand Key area, and if you choose to stay in a hotel there, I believe that there is less in terms of activities and shops within walking distance.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 05:50 AM

My hubby and I are on our way back to our favorite spot on St Pete Beach, the Dolphin Beach resort. They have a web site, dolphinbeach.com
This place has been around for quite a while, but we LOVE being in an ocean front room where you can open the door and step onto the sand. Highrises don't offer that luxury. These rooms are simple, but with a microwave and a fridge. I agree with makai1 that this is the greatest beach for walking.

Ah, and the Don Cesar is within walking distance. We like to go there to have a coctail at sunset, or to enjoy their outdoor terrace breakfast. You never know who you will see in their lounge. We've seen a couple of folks from Hollywood there! (not that it happens all the time....)

For great seafood, you can't beat Leverocks. There are several in the area. We like the one at St Pete Beach. It's on the intercoastal waterway rather than on the beach. I like the clam chowder at Shells.

Enjoy!

Carol