Search

Chester or Bust?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:35 PM
humblejohn

Chester or Bust?

Wife and I would like to visit e.haddam, chester and essex area for several days. So far we can't find one hotel/motel. We do not stay in B&B or so called resorts. Are we dreaming or is there such a thing as an interesting and beautiful area with no hotels or motels? The only hotels are in old saybrook but why stay there if you want to see something north or it? Ready for another drink i think.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Mary

That is a nice area that you want to visit. However, they are not top vacation spots. Old Saybrook is right next to Essex and maybe 15 miles from E Haddam, so they're not that far away. Although, you don't want to stay in a B&B, I would strongly recommend the Griswold Inn in Essex. This is a great place! I believe it is one of the oldest, if not the oldest inns, in the country, established in 1776. My husband and I have stayed there several times. If you are looking for a hotel/motel accommodations, Old Saybrook is your closest location.
Enjoy the area - don't miss the Goodspeed Opera House or Gillette Castle.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 07:06 PM
humblejohn

mary: thank you. we called the griswold inn. keeps reminding me of the chevy chase movie about the griswolds. hope our trip turns out better.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:00 PM
humblejohn

Mary: i called the griswald inn and the first call they left me on hold. on the second call they hung up. On the third call i tried to get some information on the rooms and finally gave up. How busy could it be at 11am. This is why I stay away from B&B's. Thanks anyway.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 02:32 PM
shelley

i think there is a great resort up there called the waters edge. maybe in essex or old saybrook? not sure..check it out.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:02 AM
Katie

Water's edge is in Westbrook - minutes from Saybrook and 10-15 miles from Chester. It's a nice drive on rte. 154 up to the Chester area - one of CT's most scenic roads.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Jacy

If I'm not too late here...

I wonder why no one has mentioned the Inn at Chester. It's a 40 room Inn that has a really nice restaurant attached to it. Voted best in the state for their desserts.

www.innatchester.com

In that area you are not going to find ANY hotels. It's a VERY quiet part of CT. If you want a hotel then I'd go to Old Saybrook, which as mentioned is the neighbor of Essex and has more of a suburb feel with shops, restaurants and beaches...a lot more to do.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Patty

Just a little warning John, as the previous poster said, this is a very quiet area with very little to do. Aside from some nice scenery, a couple of shops in very small town square type street (not plural because it really is just one street in Essex and one in Chester). Basically its a nice place to live/retire. I often wonder what most of the tourists do here. BTW - the Gris has a very busy restaurant/pub. I often wonder too if the inn guests get any peace and quiet.

While you don't prefer inn's, the Inn at Chester is a very lovely place and another poster mentions.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 06:21 PM
humblejohn

My wife and I went to Chester and Essex Ct. What a disaster! Boat and Train ride ok but filled with seniors. I can do that in NYC. There is absolutely nothing to do in connecticut unless you own a boat! One of our founding fathers said "Give me Essex or give me death". Give me death.