Best place to stay in Aspen/Snowmass...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...that is *NOT* the Little Nell or the St. Regis.

Trying to decide between Beaver Creek and Aspen. For us it would be easier to stay in Beaver Creek, but we don't want to overlook the possibility of staying somewhere nice in Aspen and taking advantage of the huge Aspen-Snowmass-Aspen Highlands area. Nothing is booked yet so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Just curious...why not Little Nell or St. Regis? I love the St. Regis--some of the best service I've ever had and lovely rooms and grounds.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Do you want a condo or hotel - price range would help with suggestions. We've been to BC and Aspen/Snowmass - stayed in condos both times.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Good question. St. Regis is already sold out for my dates (March 28th - April 4th). Little Nell is also sold out (and at $615 per night + tax, they are way out of my range).
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

cmeyer54, I am looking for a place that has nice facilities (hot tub, heated pool, etc.) and a location that is convenient to dining and skiing (near a shuttle stop, etc.). Size of the unit is not important because it's just my husband and I. The only thing that makes me leary about condos is that since they are individually owned, there may be some uneveness in their maintenance. But that is why I am getting recommendations here, so if you had a good experience with a condo, please share!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:48 AM

at snowmass, we stayed at Aspenwood and Lichenhearth. Both are close to the slopes (almost ski-in/out). Aspenwood has an outdoor pool - lichenhearth has a hot tub. the village is very close (walking distance). I don't know if the units are individually owned or not - we just reserved thru the central reservation system. Maintenance was fine - they aren't luxury units but have fireplaces, etc. We just drove to Aspen for skiing or dinners. Easy to do; At Beaver Creek, I think you'd have to stay on the mountain somewhere near the hyatt - the condos at the base have a shuttle to take you up to the ski base as I remember. Not as convenient as ski-in/out but its still a great place to ski.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM
KMK

Stayed at the Crestwood (condos) at Snowmass right before Christmas this year. Ski-in/ski-out, hot tub, heated pool. Convenient town shuttle stop right at the condo unit, but the Crestwood van will also take you anywhere you want in Snowmass (& also take you to/from the airport). Place was very well run, staff was incredibly helpful. Our particular unit was well-maintained, clean, and tastefully decorated, although I would also say it was not a luxury class unit by any means. I would definitely stay here again - you can book directly with the Crestwood or through most of the lodging reservation services.

I think Snowmass is a great place to stay if you are there for the skiing & not the whole Aspen town scene; of the 4 mountains in the Aspen group, I prefer Snowmass - it is absolutely huge with great terrain for any level skier.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:56 AM

There is also the Hotel Jerome, but probably expensive too.

In the alternative, I know a place that has nice facilities (1 bedroom with sleeper sofas in the den, private hot tub and sauna, fireplace and kitchen) located in the center of Aspen (across from the Wheeler Opera House and the Crystal Palace). However, it's a condo, so there is no hotel bar, room service, etc. although during the day they have maid service to clean your room, give you new towels, etc. It is called the Prospector, located at 301 E. Hyman. Telephone (970) 920-2030.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:53 PM

You cannot get much closer to the Buttermilk slopes than at the Silvertree Hotel ($400.+) or it's companion Wildwood Lodge ($200.+)
I've stayed at both (prefer the Wildwood) and am going back in a couple of weeks. Free shuttle to Aspen which is a wonderful town for shopping and fine dining! The Wildwood offers free hot breakfast which is nice. Check it out on the web!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 02:56 PM

When I say Buttermilk slopes I'm referring to Snowmass which has it's own shopping and dining oppotunities - and very convenient to Aspen. The Limelight Lodge is right in the heart of Aspen and is a great place to stay but it's certainly not slopeside. - Within walking distance to the gondola though.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the input. This is exactly the type of information that I am looking for - first hand recommendations. I am looking into these options.

tskobo - the Jerome is expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the Little Nell. Is it a great place to stay? If so, we could splurge and stay there.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Yes, the Hotel Jerome is absolutely a nice place to stay with loads of old west charm, a great restaurant (i.e. food and service are wonderful) and a happening bar scene! Good luck.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:08 AM

For ski/in-out, must be Snowmass. We can vouch for Stonebridge Inn, great breakfast and nice restaurant, 5 min. walk to center, 20 yards to Assay Hill.

Between Beaver and Aspen4, the latter hands-down! Not putting Beaver down, just vast difference in available terrain.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GPaul! We booked the Stonebridge Inn. Any tips? We decided that Snowmass is an appropriate mountain for my level, and that there would be good options nearby for my husband, and being close to the lifts there was more important than staying at a swankier place.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
oe

next time check out aspensnowmassrentals.com and get a ski in ski out house for about the price of a hotel....we have also rented a big house in old snowmass split 15 ways for about 30 each!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Felicidades! Tips, not many: Room Service 1 night was excellent, Breakfast in Lobby Lounge very good (we make breakfast a highlight on ski trips), Good pizzeria down the road from the Inn, towards back of mini-mall (name?).

Your husband, and probably you, can enjoy Snowmass skiing left to right, and do spend time up on The Burn, WIDE, LONG, nice! One day at Ajax (Aspen) is enough, it is nice and steep... Don't know Highlands, but is on agenda for next Colorado trip.

The shuttles to/from the resorts are very convenient, don't bother driving.

Cocktails at Little Nell, dinner anywhere in Aspen!

Ah, que envidia! Enjoy.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GPaul. I'm happy to hear breakfast is good, I *never* skip it, especially when skiing.

By the way, I saw a post by a GPaul at Epicski...is it you? If so,... la República Dominicana está bastante lejos de los centros de esquí, how do you do it? If it's not you, well just ignore my last comment.