Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what is the best luxury accomodations in Aspen

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

almost booked the ritz destination club who had a great deal at aspen highlands... however, they don't offer snow boarding there and the skiing is more geared toward experts... we are a family of 4.... all beginer/intermediate skiers with one budding snowboarder....

there is the gant that is in town and looks good... but once booked its a hefty penalty to change ones mind so want to make sure i look at all possibilities... if you know of something let me know... thank you...

this community was very helpful for our summer european vacation griswald style.... we had a blast and i plan to write about it soon... , thanks!
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 01:45 PM

We have stayed at The Gant a few times. It is a nice condo-hotel, but I wouldn't call it "luxury" per se. It is nice that you can rent the Gant units according to their quality, and pay one of three rate levels.

Aspen Square is another nice condo-hotel, right in Aspen town. A bit more luxurious than The Gant. We have stayed there twice. Our first visit we had a very nice newly-redecorated condo. But the second visit, we had a very dated and tired condo, for the same price. So, you have to specify that you only will accept a newly re-done unit.

For luxurious hotels, we like the historic Jerome. The service at the Jerome is excellent. We had a large corner suite there several years ago. It was very nice. You could ask them when the rooms were last redecorated. It is more a quietly elegant hotel, with a wonderful restaurant and a bar.

The glitterati hang out at the Little Nell, which turns us off. Huge Hummers and exotic cars there. People who want to be seen stay there.
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM

Jerome for me an oldie but a goodie for upscale
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 04:49 PM

The St. Regis is really nice, but all these are in the town of Aspen. Aspen Mountain is not really geared to intermediate or beginning skiers. For that, you'd probably want to ski at Snowmass, which is about 20 minutes away ( either stay there, or my preference, which is to stay in town and take the free ski shuttle).
Old Oct 1st, 2011, 08:08 PM

As stated Ajax mountain is not for beginners or intermediate and I think snowboarding is still ban from Ajax. Snowmass is your mountain of choice. Big cruising mountain designed primarily for intermediate skiers. Lots of ski in/out condos which is a big advantage for a group.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM

Staying in Aspen proper is best IMHO, for its unique atmosphere, and charming, walkable streets. I believe you can easily get shuttles to Snowmass or the Highlands from town. Staying in Snowmass, you could be at any ski resort, without the cache of Aspen. Just our personal preference.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM

Agree Snowmass is really the only place for beginners/intermediates to ski in the area which is very doable while staying in Aspen. Sounds like you'd be better off with a condo for your family than a hotel. Go on tripadvisor.com for reviews of properties. Have you considered other areas like Park City, UT or Steamboat, CO? Both good areas for families with lots of begin/int trails.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM

We've stayed at the Gant twice, and our unit was quite luxurious--high end finishes and very nice furniture. In the evening, we walk into town, but for skiing, we prefer to use their private shuttle.

For beginners, Snowmass and Buttermilk would probably be more enjoyable than Ajax or Aspen Highlands.

In deciuding whether to stay in Aspen or at Snowmass, consider whether you want to travel to ski or travel for your evenings. There are ccertainly restaurants at Snowmass, but it doesn't have the same vibe as Aspen.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all of your advice! so we have booked the gant as my husband does not want to ski and wants to be in town .... the kids and I will shuttle to snowmass... have been to park city, but not steam boat.... will try that sometime perhaps... I like to change it up and see new things but love that I can get advice on line these days and ussually am able to make choices I am more informed about and happy with... I looked at little nell... way too pricey for us ..... and the Jerome looks special but think the condo will be a better deal this time ..... gives the kids their own space and like that it has a woodburning fireplace.... thank you all I will let you know how it goes.... we have a feb 20 trip planned... best, oz
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:42 PM

I was going to suggest The Little Nell, because of your title. Wonderful wonderful, and yes, luxury on steroids.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Loved The Little Nell.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 08:24 PM

The Gant is a good choice. They will take care of you there.