Search

Aspen accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aspen accommodation

Hi,

We are a group of women planning a trip to Aspen in March. None of us have been to Aspen before, so we don't know how large it is.
We are looking for some guidance on accommodation (house or condo), preferably near the lifts or town (if they are not one and the same). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Cassie
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:52 PM

I am only going to be partially helpful. Aspen is relatively small, old Victorian town laid out in city blocks. The ski area is a relatively narrow area on the west edge of town at the foot of Ajax Mountain. Slope side units are very limited. A couple of very high end hotels sit at the base. After that everything is scattered through out the residential areas. Are you good skiers? Although there are a couple of green trails/slopes, most beginners and low immediate skiers are more comfortable at Buttermilk or Snowmass or the Highlands. Although I have skied Ajax many times, I have always stayed in Snowmass so cannot make any specific recs for lodging in Aspen.
Old Nov 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM

We've stayed at The Gant twice, and we like it very much. The condo units are quite attractive, there are nice outdoor hot tubs, it's a 10 minute walk to "downtown" Aspen, and they have their own shuttle vans if you don't want to walk.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Try to eat at The Crystal Palace. It was the highlight of my trip to Aspen oh, so many years ago. I thought the dinner was excellent and the show was wonderful.

http://www.cpalace.net/palace.html

Unfortunately, I think Gretl's is gone. They had the world's best apple strudle.

Can anyone verify?
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 07:27 AM
MaureenB

I recommend you stay in Aspen itself, because it's a charming little town for walking around. We have liked The Gant, also. It's got all the amenities of a hotel.

There's also Aspen Square, which is a condo/hotel complex right at the base of the mountain. Just be sure to request a recently remodeled unit there, as they are all decorated by their owners and some are older than others.

It might be cheaper to stay at Snowmass, but I'd choose Aspen over there. Because Aspen is unique. Snowmass is nice, but it's like a lot of other base areas in the country.

Aspen is a great place for a group trip. We love it there. Have fun.
>-

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I actually like the Snowmass area better to stay - especially with friends. I like the skiing better, and it's a bit more laid back, and still has nice shops and some restaurants. I assume you will have a car (if you weren't planning to, you should) - and the drive to Aspen (or Ajax Mountain) is quite short. You definitely want to see the shops there, and there are good restaurants, but I always found Snowmass a bit friendlier. Can't go wrong in either place, though....