ASPEN OR SNOWMASS

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASPEN OR SNOWMASS

Okay, I need everyones help. We have been going skiing with the same families every year. Our boys are 15 and 16 and are fantastic skiiers. We all went to Vail last year and had a blast. We really want to go to Aspen. I read about the Gant. Is it good for kids - 11, 13 and 16 and can we truly walk to town or is it 2 miles. Can we walk to the restaurants? People keep saying that Snowmass is a better mountain. There are 15 of us in all and we are all very good skiers. We want to be where the action is. What should we do? Please help!!!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:53 AM

We've stayed at the Gant twice. It is a very nice property, about a 10 minute walk to town. Plus they have private shuttles that will tke you into town or pick you up. We've used that on the way back from the grocery store.

When we've spent a week in Aspen, we've skied one day at Ajax, one day at the Highlands, and three at Snowmass, just based on the amount of terrain at each area.

There is good shuttle service from town to Snowmass, Highlands and Buttermilk (which, I think, would be too low level for your boys).

While Snowmass has shopping and restaurants, Aspen is more "where the action is."
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:19 AM

Aspen is really for expert skiers. Lots and lots of different terrain at Snowmass.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM

Nina: Definitely stay in Aspen. It has more atmosphere than Snowmass and is a classic old Western town. Snowmass lacks the feel of being in a real town - it is more condos and hotels that are built around the mountain. It is undergoing a huge expansion as well and that will still be going on next year, I believe. Also, when you buy your lift tickets, you will have the option of skiing at all four of the mountains (Aspen/Ajax; Snowmass; Buttermilk and Aspen Highlands) on the same ticket. There are shuttles that take you back and forth to all of the mountains so it all works smoothly for you. Don't be scared about skiing at Ajax either. My husband and I are advanced intermediate skiers and we've not had a problem skiing there - plenty of nice blue trails when you go to the top. Snowmass is also excellent. We usually ski two days at Ajax and three at Snowmass when we go. It's a wonderful area - you will love it!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 10:23 AM
MaureenB

We've stayed at The Gant several times. Definitely stay there, or elsewhere in Aspen. As already said, there's no place like Aspen. Snowmass is very nice, but it's not Aspen!
>-

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:16 PM

If you want to be where the action is, then Aspen is where you want to be. Never stayed at the Gant, so I can't help you htere, but if it is only a 10 minute walk to town, then I'd say do it.
The town of Aspen sits at the base of Aspen Mountain (some call it Ajax Mountain). Good intermediate skiers should have no trouble getting around on it at all. I'd suggest checking into an "Ambassador" tour of the mountain. It's free, and it's led by a local volunteer known as an ambassador. I believe you meet them at the top of the mountain at 10:00 am or 10:30, and they will take you on a "blue run only" tour around the mountain for an hour and a half or 2. The ambassadors will show you the best ways to get around the mountain, the best runs at certain times of the day, and other little gems (ask them to take you to some of the memorials on the mountain - there's one for John Denevr, Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, and others). Besides knowing the ski mountain, they are also a wealth of information about the history and geology of the area, as well as tid bits about the town itself - including restaurants and shopping.
Snowmass is a huge mountain with lots of long cruising blue runs and some nice blacks. Definately take the free bus over there for a day or two. They also have ambassador led tours.
Now, for a secret I'm only going to tell YOU about: if you ask a real Aspen local (and by that I mean a blue collar someone who actually lives and WORKS there year round - not those part time fru-fru socialites or California movie snobs) where they like to ski, 7 out of 10 will probably tell you Aspen Highlands. Another free shuttle will get you from town to the Highlands. It's about the same size as Ajax (aka Aspen Mountain), but MUCH LESS crowded. It has some nice easy and some nice testy blue runs and some @ss-kickin' blacks and double blacks if you're feeling bored. There are also some easy long green runs at the bottom. The problem with the Highlands is that there is virtually no nightlife - so if you go to the Highlands, go there to ski.
Buttermilk is the 4th mountain in the Aspen chain. It is also known as Tiehack (I have no idea why these people have such a hard time settling on just one name). It is where the Winter X Games have been held. Buttermilk is the easiest of the 4 Aspen mountains as far as skiing difficulty goes.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, Aspen it is!! I will hopefully book The Gant if it is still available. Can anyone tell me of any restaurants that is a MUST in Aspen and how far in advance can you book. My son will be turning 17 that week. Can you recommend any restaurants for a birthday celebration. Thanks