Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Belvedere vs. Beacon vs. Helmsley Carlton or Other Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 10:29 AM
michele

I've done some research on the posts regarding both the Beacon and the Belvedere but am still undecided (can't find much on the Helmsley Carlton.) I'm staying in NYC for five nights in late May with my mother, so we definitely need 2 beds. I usually use Priceline or Hotwire to book hotels but have been told to expect only one bed if I go this route, since most NYC hotels have very few doubles. I do like the idea of a kitchenette for snacks, etc. The rates I've found are about $160/night for the Beacon and Belvedere and $200/night for the Carlton. All have kitchenettes. My priorities are proximity to a subway stop, clean rooms, and a safe neighborhood. I'd rather not be in an area that's *too* touristy, and would prefer a more residential area that's not too noisy. Any experiences or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Bob Brown

I recently spent 3 nights at the Beacon.
There were only two of us, so a king bed was ample. The room was comfortable, and the little kitchen area had a microwave, a small refrigerator, and a small two burner electric stove.
The room was of adequate size, and well controlled for heat and cooling.

The lobby area is small. The desk staff was efficient. The maid service was normal and efficient.

There was no doorman, which was fine with me. If I wanted a taxi, we just walked out the door and stood at the curb and waved. I think the longest I waited was 5 minutes, mainly because it was raining and taxis were full.

The Beacon is located at Broadway and 75th street, which puts it north of Lincoln Center by about a mile, perhaps less.
The natural history museum is within walking distance.

There was a subway stop not far from the hotel.

The neighborhood seems ok to me. The sidewalks and streets were crowded around 5 to 9 pm. Once off Broadway, there were quite a few residential buildings. Stores of course were all up and down Broadway as well as Amsterdam Ave. There was a food shop directly across the street from the hotel.

Our room was on the 23rd floor, so it was high enough that street noise was far away. I would be willing to go back again.

I might add, that the taxes on a room are fairly high. You get hit with sales tax and hotel tax. I think the taxes added $25.00 a day to the bill.

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Allison

Have stayed at The Belvedere twice and I would definately stay there again. It is located in a very convenient area. Close to theaters and Restaurant row. The rooms have two double beds, microwave, refrigerator, very nice for snacks. The rooms look very much like a Holiday Inn. The bathroom is very small. Our room was quiet and the staff was very nice.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:00 AM
s

Could not go wrong with either Beacon or Belvedere but Beacon meets all your criteria
Close to subway - less than 5 minute walk.
Neighborhood is as safe as any in the city.
Residential area that is definately not wall to wall with tourists.
Plenty of restaurants and coffee shops within less than 10 minute wak from hoel.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Leslie

I stayed at the Belvedere in October. The location is excellent, and I didn't hear any street noise from the room. The hallways are a bit on the worn side, but the room I had was very nice. Just as an FYI, the elevators are slow, so seek out an elevator on either end of the hallway, instead of in the middle.

The hotel is only a few blocks from the Port Authority, in case you're coming in to the city on a bus.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 09:49 AM
Judy

I stayed at the Belvedere last July. It's a basic small, old hotel. The rooms are pretty small and a bit dated. The location is pretty good, depending on what your plans are. There's a fabulous all-you-can eat restaurant in the hotel but only go if you aren't a vegetarian.

Have fun!

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 11:02 AM
mimi

Stayed at the Belvedere twice this year and it is not an old hotel. It was an apartment building that has been renovated into a hotel. We liked it much better than the Hudson which was also a renovated blg. by Ian Schrager. The rooms there are so small that it is very uncomfortable for two. In fact you will still see apt. residents at the Belvedere living there with their dogs. I like the hotel and agree it is like a Holiday Inn except the rooms are large for New York. We love having the kitchenette and being surrounded by the theater and restaurants. You are only two blocks away from the subway such as the C line which will take you to Chinatown, South Seaport etc. We have not spent more than $125 a night without taxes by booking with Quikbook. You can also contact them direct at 1-888-hotel58 or internetwww.newyorkhotel.com. They often have specials where they give you breakfast at a very low price for the city.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:46 PM
Cathy

Our "extended family" stayed at the Beacon once before and are booked there for an upcoming trip in April (2 single rooms, and 1 1-bedroom suite).

The Beacon was great: my in-laws were delighted by the two very nice grocery stores directly across the street so they could do breakfast and/or snacks in their room, as they were hosting the 10-yo grandson. In the suite, they had a full kitchen, if that's of interest to you.

We had a "regular" room, which is almost always available for $145 even though they advertise it for $160. I don't know when your dates are, but for the past year or so that we've checked their rates, the seasonal "special" has been this price --or just ask for it. For us, the kitchenette was completely sufficient, and we thought the size of the room, cleanliness, etc., was excellent.

Neighborhood couldn't be safer, subway is within a couple of blocks, and a bus stop is right outside the hotel.

The only issue, if you can call it that, that we had with the Beacon was that when we first checked in we were given a so-called non-smoking room that clearly had been used by smokers. If this matters to you--and it does to us--they tell you when you make the reservation that they can't guarantee a non-smoking room; however, since we were there 3 hours before the official check-in time, they were easily able to give us a different room and did so cheerfully without any argument.