NYC Hotel - The Carlyle vs. The Lowell

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked in a previous post for people's advice on a NYC luxury hotel. I got some wonderful suggestions of which I have been narrowing down my choices. Here's my latest question: For my time period, The Carlyle and The Lowell are virtually the same price ($600/night). The Caryle has a deal right now, though, if you use an American Express card for room, you get one free night. That would take my total cost down by $600 if I booked The Carlyle. Can anyone tell me between the two hotels, which rooms are nicer, what location is better (for walking distance to great shopping, restaurants, Central Park, museums, Rockefeller Center) and which hotel is just all around more old school NYC impressive?
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Forgive me if this is a duplicate post. Fodors is acting a bit weird. Bottom line, if you can get a nice room (junior suite or view or something) at the Carlyle and will save $600, you might want to consider it. They have basic floor plans for the various rooms and suites here including sizes http://www.thecarlyle.com/fp_popup.cfm

The basic rooms are nothing special. I think the location of the Lowell is probably more what you'd like, but $600 will buy a lot of taxis.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
nbujic

Only had drinks at Carlyle , loved the location ( Upper East side) next to the best shops and many restaurant. You are only 20 some blocks from the Rock. Center( 10 dollars cab ride) , about 10 blocks from the MMOA and next to Whitney.
Go for it!

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM

The Lowell is closer to Rock Center, midtown shopping and MoMA. The Carlyle is closer to uptown museums and some of the designer boutique shopping on Madison avenue.

In any case, they're only about a 10 minute walk apart.

I would go for the Carlyle, save the $600 and do a little extra shopping.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 10:20 AM

I like the neighborhood that the Carlyle is in, being very chi-chi poo-poo and quiet. It is a pleasure to walk down Madison Ave. on a Sunday morning past all the great boutiques--Missoni, Moschino, Ilias Lalaounis, Sonia Rykiel.

The Lowell is also in a good neighborhood, very close to Barneys and Bergdorf Goodman. But, the neighborhood is very "busy."
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I'm now recalling this is for NYE. It will be a lot easier to get back to your hotel from Times Square at the Lowell. The Carlyle is much further.