Reload this Page >

Affinia Dumont or Affinia 50 (NYC) -concerns over not being centrally located

Old Aug 31st, 2005, 08:50 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to NYC with our two kids (age 10 and 13) over the Thanksgiving holiday. We can not do 2 dbl. beds so are looking for hotels with either 2 Queen beds or King/Queen and sofa sleeper. I have looked up most hotels recommended here and the only ones I can find with 2 Queen beds in our price range, are the Affinia Group Hotels.

I have narrowed it down to the Affinia Dumont and the Affinia 50 but am a little concerned about the location. We will be there for 5 nights, will want to do basic tourist things like Ellis Island, SOL and ESB, etc. We also love to shop and will also want to spend time in LIttle Italy, Soho, Brooklyn. Probably two nights at the theater. I have not worked out our itinerary yet, but I am worried that these are not centrally located. We don't mind walking, but don't want to be too far removed. Will we be too far to walk home from the theater district at night?

Does anyone have any opinions between these two? Dumont is rated #2 on TA and I believe Affinia 50 is about #15, however it has been newly rennovated and looks nicer on the website.

I have been surprised at the prices for hotels, it appears that I can't find any good deals, and we can't do priceline since we need to be sure and have the larger beds. We would like to stay under $350/night. Originally wanted under $300 but I wasn't too impressed with what I found for that price at that time of year. The Dumont is $307 and the Affinia 50 is $319 so I am hoping you all will say the location is great!
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:14 PM

For those who don't happen to have the locations of all NYC hotels memorized, the Dumont is on 34th and the Affinia 50 is on 50th Street (clever, eh?), both are between Third and Lexington.

Most people would consider both locations to be within walking distance of the Theattre District. Since your other sites are scattered all over Manhattan adn even Brooklyn, a central location isn't necessary. You might consider the Murray Hill East Suites hotel, which is not far from the Affinia dumont; it used to be apartments; I believe you can get a bedroom with two beds, plus a livingroom wtih a sofabed and a full kitchen.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:52 AM
rqf

Location is okay for both. Both are a short walk from the subway. The Affinia 50 is a short walk away from 5th Avenue and less than a mile walk to the theater district - about a 20 minute walk at a leisurely pace The Dumont is about a 5 minute walk to the Empire State building. The subway line close to both hotels offers easy access to Little Italy, SOHO and Brooklyn. The 50 is a bit more centrally located.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 07:56 AM
lvk

Just wanted to chime in since I had friends who stayed at the Affinia 50 recently. They couldn't get over the size of the rooms. A friend of theirs, who lives in NYC, visited them at the hotel and said that their room was bigger than her and many of her friends' apartments . This may be more important to you with 4 people in a room.

I've stayed at the Affinia Dumont for business, but that was years ago. I've also stayed at the Shelburne Murray Hill many times. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Affinia hotels.

As other posters have mentioned, it is easy enough to get around NYC. I don't think that you will feel too far removed.

Sounds like a great way to spend Thanksgiving break. Have a great trip!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM

The location of both hotels is perfectly fine. You are close to subway stops - and will need to take the subway to many of the things you want to see anyway - since they are spread out all over Manhattan.

The theater district is a very reasonable walk from the 50 and the Dumont not far from the ESB - as oted above.

And with any midtown hotel you will need to take the subway downtown to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island/Chinatown/Soho and uptown to many of the major museums/Central Park - unless you plan on walking 10/15 miles per day.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:14 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Decided on the Affinia 50 and when I went to book it, I noticed they had a special American Girl package - so I got the room for $239 a night!!

I know my 13 year old daughter is too old to bring her American Girl dolls, but I was delighted to save the money!!
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:19 AM

That's a great rate for Thanksgiving! I've stayed at some of the Affinia properties before and was very satisifed. Have a wonderful trip!