Biltmore - Days Inn Biltmore East

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, can anybody provide feedback on the Days Inn Biltmore East? I've found a good rate there. I want to be close to the Biltmore estate in safe and clean hotel.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:16 AM

You will definitely be close to the Biltmore but you can't walk into it anyway so it doesn't really matter. You might want to check out tripadvisor.com for reviews of the hotel. It is located just off of I-40 and is about 2 miles or so from downtown ASheville - but again, you really couldn't/wouldn't walk it.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 07:31 AM

we stayed there back in august 2003 - by far the most interesting thing about it was that it had an adjacent emergency care center connected to the hotel, with both of them sharing the parking lot - i had to get a picture of that marquee before i left...

we really did little in our room that weekend except sleep and have breakfast (which if memory serves was on the minimal scale of a usual days inn - cereal & bagels, maybe some fruit too) - like leahinsc says, you'll have to drive to biltmore but on the other hand you can just walk across the street to the downtown area - one of our favorite restaurants there, the vegetarian place laughing seed, is particularly close...

one nice thing is that there's a restriction on signage (at least we're assuming) so you don't have any big glaring signs - but on the other hand, it makes it easier to miss the sign for the hotel as you're driving in for the first time...

i enjoyed it overall, and was upset that it was booked up the second time i went to asheville - we stayed at another days inn, but it was about 10 minutes from downtown and cut off from everything else - so i'd say go for it if you can...
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 08:51 AM

fastnbulbous - I think your talking about the Days Inn Downtown, not the Days Inn Biltmore East. And that place (Downtown) looks nasty - one of the nastiest hotels I've seen in a while. The Emergency Care clinic looked more like a free clinic to me and there were what appeared to be male prostitutes calling out to potential customers from the balconies. It's been a couple years since I've been by there, so maybe it's been cleaned up?

aggiegirl - I've stayed at the Comfort Inn River Ridge and it was just fine, good rate and short drive to d/t or Biltmore. If you want to be able to walk to d/t (which I recommend), the Best Western Asheville Biltmore is dated, but fine and the best value within walking distance of downtown. It's about a 5-minute drive to the Biltmore.

There are plenty of other chain hotels closer to Biltmore Village. Make sure to map the hotel to see where you actually are, because the name is often misleading (like the Best Western mentioned above).
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM

Aggiegirl - fastnbulbous is thinking of the downtown Days Inn. I'm not sure what is going on there if it is still a hotel or medical clinic or what - but I wouldn't stay. I thought "your" Days Inn was on Biltmore Ave but I looked it up and it is on Tunnel Road which is not really that close to the Biltmore as places on Biltmore Ave. There are many hotels/motels on Tunnel Road which is a busy road with lots of chain restaurants and the Asheville Mall - I guess it is about 3 - 5 miles to the gates of the Estate depending on where you are.
There are some sketchy areas of Tunnel Road. I would use Trip advisor to make sure I am in a good, clean hotel.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

I did indeed look at tripadvisor and all reviews were positive. I think we'll be ok and have gone ahead and booked the room. Thanks for everybody's comments.
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Just in case this thread comes up for somebody else in the future, I wanted to followup and say that I did stay at the Days Inn Biltmore East last week and it was fine for the price ($44/night). Some things were rather old and worn, leak stains on the ceiling and very rough towels, but the place was safe and clean.