Asheville, NC-Days Inn Downtown

Apr 19th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Asheville, NC-Days Inn Downtown

We're traveling to Asheville, NC and wanted to stay downtown. It looks like everything is booked for at least one of the days we want except for the Days Inn Asheville Patton Ave. It is pretty cheap at $50 and I was wondering if it is passably decent or if we should just book something further away.
Apr 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM
bonniebroad

I avoid Day's Inns whenever possible!!! Heard too much......... saw too much dog poop the one time I did stay at one. Maybe they're not all sub-par but I wouldn't chance it!

Apr 19th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Days Inns are all independently owned and it shows - have never stayed in one that has been at all decent. I would look for something further away.
Apr 20th, 2004, 04:55 AM

Days Inn is my favorite hotel chain, while the ones in the East are not as nice as the ones in the West, I still hunt for a Days Inn. Have not got to visit the Asheville area but you can call the local chamber of commerce and ask about the place you want to stay. I have really only have 2 bad experiences with Days...North of the Falls in Niagara Falls Ontario and Baltimore MD. I do know this you cannot trust the pix on the web sites of ANY hotel chain.
Apr 20th, 2004, 06:15 AM

It's a great location, but it does look a little iffy from the outside. I assume the Best Western Biltmore is booked? It's a great bargain option very, very close to downtown.
Apr 20th, 2004, 01:15 PM

My very favorite B&B ever was the Whitegate Inn in Asheville. Outstanding food, hosts, flowers, bathrobes, wine, etc. It wasn't right in town, but definitely worth the long walk/short drive. www.whitegate.net
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM

Don't do it! While in an enviable location, the downtown Asheville Days Inn has assumed the dubious honor of being the "no-tell motel" of choice for male prostitutes ever since a developer bought the Interstate Motel and turned it into upscale condos. If ever you see numerous young men lounging around on the Days Inn balconies, wearing tight jeans and adjusting themselves, they're not doing it because they're uncomfortable -- if you get my drift.

Instead, check to see if the downtown Best Western has openings for the days of your visit. Or, if you must, investigate the inns and B&B's of the Montford and Biltmore Village neighborhood, which are northwest and south of downtown respectively. There are also several chain properties and clean and well-maintained independent properties in Biltmore Village as well.

As a last resort, Tunnel Road, east of downtown, on the way to the Asheville Mall and numerous monster shopping centers, is choked with chain motels (and restaurants and car dealerships and strip malls and a great big bunch of other crap, but that's another story).

Of course... there are also the resorts, if you'd want to consider those. A bit of Internet investigation might uncover a reasonable deal at the Grove Park, Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, or Inn on Biltmore Estate -- but bear in mind if you decide to check that even if you find a deal, they'll be more expensive than a chain property.
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:38 PM
bonniebroad

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express very close to the Biltmore Estate that was very reasonable, with breakfast, and immaculate!

Apr 21st, 2004, 05:28 PM

We stayed at Residence Inn near Biltmore estate. Breakfast included, very clean, indoor pool, full kitchen, pleasant staff
Apr 26th, 2004, 09:08 AM

I would avoid that Days Inn at all costs.
The BestWestern Biltmore is a very easy walk to the downtown area. Also the Renaissance hotel.
I would also second the WhiteGate Inn if you aren't opposed to a B&B. We've stayed there several time and love it.
All of the above are not a bad walk to downtown.
Apr 26th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you for all your replies. It looks like the Days Inn is a bad idea, so I'll check out your suggestions.
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:30 AM

I'll just reinforce what others have said:

I stayed at Days Inn ONCE. Never again.

Best Western and Rennaisance are the only cheap-ish hotels within walking distance of downtown. Haywood Park is a fantastic location but will run you $150 at the very least and probably more like $200. The closest B&Bs to downtown are in the Montford district. You would still have about a mile walk.

I have researched this to death. Good Luck.
Apr 28th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Please avoid the Day's Inn and we also had a bad experience at the Best Western downtown, as well as
one of the Inns near the Biltmore gate (Sleep Inn, I think). The best we have found has been the Marriott Courtyard off of Tunnel Road. Especially one of the rooms which has a balcony and is on the opposite side from the freeway. It is honestly the only hotel we have found comfortable in the city (B&B's and Resorts excepted).