Search

Salisbury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salisbury Hotel

Just curious if anyone can tell me about the Salisbury. There will be 4 of us staying there for a girls' weekend to NYC.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 03:10 PM
GoTravel

Great hotel, excellent location. Not the Ritz-Carlton or a W but the rooms are large.

Across the street from Carnegie Hall, two blocks from Central Park, a couple blocks to Times Square on one side and Fifth Avenue shopping on the other. Chanel, Bergdorf Goodman, Tiffany, Prada, Steinway & Sons (next door to hotel, ask for a tour), plus tons of other upscale shopping right there on 57th Street.

Five or six blocks to Rockefeller Center. Have a drink at the Rainbow Room (Grill) at the top of Rock Center.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 04:58 PM

I had my sister booked into the Salisbury this summer, but after reading reviews at newyork.citysearch.com and tripadvisor.com decided to get her a room elsewhere. I got the sense that many of the rooms are tired and people also mentioned a musty smell. Just a heads up. Would be good to hear from people who have actually stayed there recently!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I can vouch for the musty smell...in both my room and my colleague's room. We were on the same floor though, so maybe it was just that floor. This was Nov 02, so nearly two years ago. Hopefully a more recent review can surface for you.

Large rooms, clean, basic. Well located and worth it if you can get a good deal.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:54 AM

There is another hotel called Carnegie Suites not far from there. Don't know if it's better (or available). There's also the Buckingham right near by but I don't think that's any nicer.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:05 AM
GoTravel

The Salisbury is my parents home away from home in NYC and I can tell you for a fact, it is a great hotel.

My mother may be the pickiest person on earth and loves the Salisbury. They could afford the Ritz-Carlton but prefer the Salisbury.

Their last stay was less than a month ago.

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:27 AM

We haven't stayed there for a few years now, but loved it and almost always used it as our New York base until my daughter moved to a house with a guest room. The rooms are large and the location is great. The other place we liked was the Beacon.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:17 AM

We love it! The location is great! We've been 4 times (I think) & always stay there. The 4 of us always get a suite, which had 2 double beds, & a sleeper sofa in the sitting area with at least 2 other chairs, coffe table. There's also an eating area. (we also appreciate the small kitchenette, w/fridge, coffee maker & I think microwave now. We're not in to all the fancy amenities, so this always suits our needs. We're more about the location. You can walk anywhere from there (to Central Park, only a couple blocks). We've walked to the Empire State Bldg, Macy's (a little far, but we're walkers). It's easy to catch the subways too/
Tiffany's is close (and the rest of 5th Ave), as well as Carnegie Hall.
I LOVE NY, wish I was going this year!
(our last trip there was 2002, but, we'll definitely stay there on our next trip). Have fun!
(there's always been a lot of closet room, in the suites, for the 4 of us, we practically each have our own closet)
And we've even managed with 1 bathroom!

Old Sep 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. We will be there Nov. 10-14 and apparently that is a busy time in the city because many hotels were booked. I wanted a large room there's 4 women. We will bit hitting the city and spending little time in the room. I will let post to let you know what we thought of the hotel upon our return.