Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Question for those who have stayed at the Monge Hotel in Paris

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

I have a reservation for a double street-facing room with shower, and my friend has a single street-facing room reserved at the Monge. Can anyone tell me about these rooms? How tiny are they? I'm looking forward to the location. After many trips to Paris, this is my first time staying in the Latin Quarter.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 04:38 AM

there are photos posted on Tripadvisor by travelers that show street-side doubles. Expect any single to be very very small. Doubles booked for single use can be more comfortable.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 05:21 AM

I doubt they have real single rooms that are only for 1 person.

I have stayed 3 times at Monge, all of them alone so I booked always a room for 1 person. 2 times I had street facing rooms. They were not large but still had a double bed, shower only bathroom. Those rooms could actually take 2 perons. At least the bed was not 1 person only size. The other time, I had a back side room that's a bit quieter and had a bit of view over the arena. That room was a bit bigger with a larger bathroom that had a tub. A couple friend stayed there in a back side double room, again the room was somehow larger + descent sized bathroom.

I prefer street side rooms because the noise was not a problem there (you can close the window and the room has air-con) and if you stand on the tiny balcony, you could see to your far right, a bit of part of Notre-Dame among others that's more interesting to me than the arena that doesn't look particularly old today. People come there to play the pétanque, foot balls. Unless they do have one or two real single rooms, I wouldn't be worried about the size. Each time of my stay the rates were about 75 - 80 €. When are you going? I stay at Monge in summer because the air-con works really well there and at this category/price of the hotel, there are not many that have air-con that works and in that fairly good location.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I also stayed in a room that faced the street and loved it - I liked looking down at people walking below in the street, and I liked it when I opened the curtains in the morning to see the people in the apartments opposite the street waking up and starting their day! The location is excellent and Julie is a friendly hostess! The double room was very small - but bigger than some other doubles we stayed in in Paris!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:23 AM

I stayed at the Monge with my college daughter last fall for 90 euros a night- we had a corner room that originally was supposed to be a triple for the two of us-husband ended up not coming.The room was nice and roomy-bathroom was somewhat small. I stay over by the Eiffel Tower almost everyweek for work at a major hotel and think that the Monge is so much better for atmosphere,staff and area.The location between the 2 metro stops is great and everything is a short walk otherwise.Having the grocery store across the street and the Rue du Mouffatard(sp?) two blocks over was delightful for the market and the restaurants. I loved the area and the Monge as you feel like you belong in the local neighborhood.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Does Hotel Monge have twin-bedded rooms..?
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Travelnut - yes there are twin bedded rooms. I stayed in one in September. The room overlooked the arena. The room was kind of small, but that is typical. The bathroom was decent sized. Our room had a little nook across from the bathroom that had a small couch and table and window. Nice spot to sit and read.

This is a very nice hotel in a location that has shopping, dining and a grocery store nearby. Have a fun trip!
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We will be there in early May. I originally requested a back-facing room, but they have tubs and I want a shower, so took the street-facing room. I have not figured out how to successfully bath/wash my hair with those hand-held hoses, so I always request a room with a shower. I stayed with another friend on rue daguerre once in the tiniest room - it was so small, (how small was it?) it was so small, there was no place for us to put our luggage. I think we'll be happy with two rooms and two bathrooms due to the size of the rooms in Paris. It seemed more sensible than one small room for two people and is within our budget. We are also arriving and departing on different days.

This is my sixth trip to Paris, but the first time for my friend.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I stayed as a single in a room facing the street. It had a double bed but there is no way two people could make do in that room. And if you dropped your soap in the shower you had to step outside to pick it up. Spotlessly clean. And the morning I drew back the curtains to look across the street, imagin my surprise when I saw a naked woman standing outside on the balcony across the way from me.
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM

We have stayed there twice, both times in a double street facing room, but with tub. Both rooms were a reasonable size, and the bathrooms were also a good size - maybe having a tub makes the difference.
Julie is a great hostess,and there are plenty of places nearby to eat or buy food. The a/c really works well, we were there in August 2003 during the heatwave, and were very thankful for it.