Baseball, Yankees NYC

Search

Baseball, Yankees NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baseball, Yankees NYC

We will be in NYC this week and we are thinking of buying tickets for a baseball game on Friday night.

The weather forecast is for possible storms or at least some rain. Will the game still go ahead? And will we get wet? We were looking at purchasing tickets somewhere between the the home plate and first base but much further up. The tickets are expensive, so we are cautious. Would we still get wet sitting there? Or should we wait closer to the day before we buy tickets?
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 02:09 PM

If the forecast holds and there is intermittent rain, the game will go on, with a possible "rain delay" - that means that they roll a tarp on the infield and everyone sits around and gets wet while it rains. This late in the baseball season they will make every effort to play the game since there are few opportunities to make up the game and the Yankees are battling for first place in their division.

If a game is cancelled or rescheduled, you generally either go to the rescheduled game or get your money back if you buy the tickets from the official Yankees tickets seller (as opposed to a legal ticket broker or not he street).

It is going to be warm in the northeast this week. Bring rain gear and go if this is something you want to do. I was surprised that there are still tickets available, but when I checked, there are.
Old Sep 6th, 2015, 04:56 PM

If there is light rain the game goes on and most people in the stands get wet (bring umbrellas). Only those seated at the back of the lower level (tickets probably not available) might stay dry.

If the rain is heavy there will be a delay - but they may wait 2 or even 3 hours and resume the game if the rain looks like it will end. In that case you will not be eligible for a refund - you get that only if the game is cancelled, which they will not do unless really forced to so late in the season and with the Yankees fighting for the lead.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 01:40 AM

Make sure you check Yankees.com for policies on what you can bring into Stadium. Small umbrellas only. And there is a bag size policy.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 04:08 AM

And all bags are searched on the way in - so be sure to allow for this in deciding when to get there. We are always inside the better part of an hour before the game starts.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Wow thanks for you ideas and insights.

I haven't booked the tickets yet a bit worried about the weather. They work out quite expensive when we factor in our dropping exchange rate and we have friends with us too. Thanks for the tips on what to bring and how long to allow for the bag checks.

But we are still keen. I hear it is quite hot at the moment in New York.

We fly out to NYC tomorrow, 24 hours to get there from Sydney.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 05:40 AM

Few things in life are more miserable than sitting through rain delays. Here's what I'd do.

If you look at StubHub.com for today's Yankee game (a holiday game) you'll see there are about 700 seats avialable, some better than others, depending on the seats. That indicates to me that you can wait until the day before or game day before making your decision. You can buy the tix from the site and ask your hotel concierge to print them out for you if they can't be picked up in person.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 06:32 AM

Baseball players are weaklings. Football players play in all sorts of weather except lightning. And hockey players when they are growing up are known as river rats because of all the conditions they must contend with.

Seriously, if the weather is threatening, I would not go. There can be more than one rain delay and they can be interminable.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 06:51 AM

The long-range forecast on the Weather website shows clear weather for Friday.

If you decide to go to the game, get tickets now. The Yankees are playing the Toronto Blue Jays, with the division leadership on the line, so the game will probably be close to a sellout.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 06:55 AM

Woo hoo!

We (in Toronto) have cousins visiting from NY this weekend and have specifically planned Friday night so we can be home to watch most of the game!
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Slight hijack. DS and I will be in NYC this coming weekend, 12-13 September. We are toying with the idea of show-up-at-the-last-minute to buy tickets for the Saturday game, knowing we may pay dearly for seats. Should we buy the tickets now, or take our chances? (We are Nats and Tigers fans, so this activity is not a "must-do;" it is just something we thought would be fun.) Thanks!
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Buy them now!
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 08:46 AM

I checked on Yankees.com when this thread was started. There were still plenty of tickets available at that site - no need to go to a broker or StubHub where one would likely pay a premium.

I think rain delays in warm summer weather are tolerable - you can always hang out at the concession stands with everyone else. Not like sleet at American football games in December.

If you like sports in general, I would go and buy tickets now. It will be an experience. And if you plan to buy alcohol, bring your passport as proof of age. Many sporting venues in the US "card" everyone, regardless of age, by policy. One of the reasons that at age 60 I buy a beer whenever I go to a game, even if I don't want one since it is a thrill to get carded.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Well our local weather shows a rain storm for Thurs (we often get major thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening when it's very hot in the summer) and possible rain for Fri, although temps will be cooler - in the 80s versus the 90s. I don;t think you're going to get better info than that until the day. So - you pays your money and you takes your choice - there won't be any guarantees.

As for the security - do realize that NYC is under orange alert - and has been since 9/11 - and many public places do routine searches of any bag you are bringing in with you.
Old Sep 7th, 2015, 09:10 AM

>>no need to go to a broker or StubHub where one would likely pay a premium.
Old Sep 8th, 2015, 08:45 AM

>no need to go to a broker or StubHub where one would likely pay a premium.>

Ticket purchasing in NYC for sporting events and concerts is more corrupt than a Louisiana political gathering. It's ridiculous on a good day. Legitimate tickets are withheld from the public and distributed slowly, if at all, so that the ticket agents can benefit through their connections on the secondary market (this has been a time-honored practice since I first scalped tickets in 1987). Just compare and contrast seat locations and prices between stubhub/razorgator/vivid seats (my best success was on vividseats.com for a concert at MSG) and what's available on yankees.com - do your homework.