Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the best pro football stadium and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someday I want to go to a pro football game, would love to be at the Packers/Vikings game today, will be glued to the telly. my question..I love the pro teams from the North, especially midwest, Bears, Packers, Vikings i want an open air stadium, because my idea of going to a game is dealing with the weather. So how do you get tickets to a pro game, how far ahead can you get them and how far ahead should hotel reservations be made? As I have posted before, I travel with my Mom bi-annually, would love to surprise her with game tickets, as she loves pro football too, Thanks DAD, he taught us to love the game. (We miss him dearly.)
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:04 AM

Lambeau Field in Green Bay is one of the finest venues in all of sports. (Where else could they put nearly $300 million into stadium renovations and still leave most of the fans sitting on bleacher benches!) Tickets are sold out essentially forever, so the way to get them is from various agents. You can check them out on eBay for pricing; Vikings-Packers is usually one of the highest-cost games. Anything under $150 a pop for a regular season game in Green Bay can be considered a decent deal and there truly are no bad seats. For a potentially "frozen tundra" experience, you might want to start eyeing up the Nov. 23 game with San Francisco. It's the opening weekend of deer season in Wisconsin and that COULD loosen up some tickets from fans who are TORN between these two Wisconsin institutions.

In Chicago, Soldier Field has also undergone a facelift and that would be my second choice. The Metrodome in Minneapolis is a lot of fun and probably offers your best chance at reasonably priced tickets on eBay, but it's obviously NOT outdoors. (If you DO capitulate, don't buy tickets in the upper deck with Row numbers higher than 26, since some are obstructed view.)

Good luck!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:15 AM

WOW! Did you see that opening drive?!!!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 09:51 AM

I've heard many of the sportscasters and production professionals say that Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City has the best overall atmosphere.
Fan enthusiasm is among the most intense in the NFL, and it's a lot warmer than Lambeau.
Hard to beat Lambeau for historical significance and character, though.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Hard to beat Lambeau(even after today's game (Vikings 30, Packers 25). Have been there several times and enjoyed every single one of the games no matter what the weather.... You can get tickets through some of the brokers like Game Day Sports. Some include your hotel, tailgate party, etc. Of course the closer it is to the game you want to go to the higher the cost. Plan far enough ahead, and you can get a better deal. Enjoy taking your Mom - wish I could get my Dad there (he's 81).
Pam
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Lambeau Field is my top choice, I want the weather experience, snow would be great. I remember the days of Vince Lombardi. Love the idea of history, second choice is Soldier Field and remembering the days of Ditka. unfortunately, I didn't get to see the game, not televised in our area, this is Cowboy country and I am not a fan. Thanks anyway.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Philadelphia's brand new Lincoln Financial field is state-of-the-art until the next city builds a stadium.
Check out The Daily New's spread on the eagles luxurious new nest.
It also envisions stadiums of the future. As for tickets, good luck..ravenous eagle fans gobbled them all up (and they are ravenous..they almost rioted over a ban on bringing cheesesteaks to the new stadium..but the owners relented).
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/6691175.htm
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Now, you know we have beautiful Qualcomm stadium here in San Diego. We have weather to deal with here too. You have to remember your sunscreen and a hat if you'll be in the sun. And don't forget to drink lots of water. Later in the season, if the game goes into overtime, you may need a light sweater. Of course, the best thing about Qualcomm is that you can get Rubio's fish tacos right there.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:33 AM
mjz

Arrowhead Stadium....home of the Kansas City Chiefs!
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Don

Seahawks Stadium in Seattle is in its second year, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. And tickets are almost always available--there were 15,000 empty seats (out of 67,000) for yesterday's season-opener. The game-day atmosphere isn't nearly as raucous as you get at a lot of other venues, but at least you can get a ticket without paying through the nose. (At least so far--the Seahawks haven't had many winning teams, so the fans seem to be taking a wait-and-see attitude. Maybe more people will start going to the games if the team starts winning.)

If I had my choice for only one game, though, Lambeau Field would be the place I'd go.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:13 PM

If you want weather, good football, intense fans and great tailgate parties then come to Buffalo. You can always get tickets from scalpers outside the stadium. We couldn't have had a better opening day than yesterday.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 08:10 PM

Definitely Lambeau field, especially if you like the Packers. My husband and I were able to get tickets for a playoff game in January (which they lost), but it was incredible being at Lambeau. The entire city of Green Bay seemed to be taken up with the festivities. Here are a few web sites that may be helpful.

http://www.packerfantours.com/game-tickets/index.html
http://www.eventusa.com/sports/packers/
http://www.pacfan.com/tickets.html

We bought our tickets through a classified ad in the Green Bay newspaper (they have online classified listings).
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 03:36 AM

Arkansasnurse -

I couldn't answer your question about bets pro stadium because I am a college football nut and hardly ever watch pro but I can tell you that if you decide to obtain tickets from a ticket broker that www.encoretickets.com is one of the best. We use them all the time and rarely find a place that sells cheaper tickets (comparing the same seat selection). That is who we use when we want to see a college game.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:23 AM

I attended the opening event at Lincoln field in Philadelphia (watched Manchester United Play). It is a lovely stadium, brand new, but....it is open in many places. On a warm summer night it was delightful. Come November or December with the winds blowing around it promises to be terribly cold and windy. And parking is a nightmare. Good old Giants stadium in Rutherford is old but works well. But if I'm watching a game in the middle of our cold months, I wish they would build covers on these stadiums.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 06:22 AM
mm

Gillette Stadium, home of the NE Patriots, is widely considered to be one of the best sports venues in the world.

It's just in it's second year but ESPN and many sports writers say it's the best.

The new stadium in Philly is supposed to be just as nice.

MM
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:35 AM

I know that it's not an outdoor stadium (i agree wholeheartedly that football outdoors is much better. My family was just talking about that when tailgating for the MSU game this weekend, even better when it's cold!) but Ford Field in Detroit is GORGEOUS!!! They incorporated the old Hudson's warehouse into the design and it's really great!! I highly recommend checking it out. But it does sound like Lambeau fits the bill for what you're looking for, and the sportscasters were really talking up the renovations...
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Yeah, but Arrowhead was ALWAYS called a stadium "ahead of its time" - and it has stood the test of time too. Beautiful, friendly, great fans.....
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:12 AM

Funny you should ask. Just saw this today on USAToday.com

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacat...3/football.htm
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:29 AM
OliveOyl

Caper, we were so tickled to be able to help you break it in appropriately Monday night. Terrific game!

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM

If you dont want to spend a lot of money but still see a game, try Cincinnati. The Bengals are perpetual losers so the stadium isn't sold out and you should be able to get a ticket easily and Paul Brown stadium is a newer one.
If money is not the major issue and if you want a truly great and unforgettable experience, go to a Steeler game in Pittsburgh! Unbeleiveable tailgating, rabid fans and a superior stadium with a great view of the river. Try a Primati's brothers sandwhich!
GO STEELERS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -