Pleasant climate in July?

Mar 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Pleasant climate in July?

We were wondering which parts of the country have the mildest (i.e., coolest) climate in July. We understand that air conditioning is unnecessary in San Jose and the Central Valley. Would that include La Fortuna? What other areas are likely to be most comfortable in July?

Thank you very much.
Mar 13th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Yes, that would include the La Fortuna area. Because of Costa Ricas location to the equator, temps don't change a whole lot but they can be slightly cooler during the "green" season. Monteverde is always a little cooler. A little further south is the Orosi valley, San Gerardo de Dota.
Basically, any place that is up a little ways in the mountains, is probably going to be cooler.
The coasts are always warm and humid.
Mar 13th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Message to Suzie2,
When you mention La Fortuna, are you referring to Fortuna de San Carlos next to Volcan Arenal or La Fortuna that is near Guayabo and Rincon de la Vieja NP? I notice that other posters mention Fortuna or La Fortuna and I want to make sure I understand which one they are talking about. Thanks for your help.
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:01 AM

janez: I've stayed in La Fortuna in June and July and it was extremely hot and humid. As you climb out of La Fortuna west toward Tabacon, it becomes remarkably cooler. If you stay at Arenal Paraiso, Montana de Fuego or Tabacon (or something in that vicinity), you probably wouldn't need air. If, however, you decide to stay in La Fortuna proper, I would highly recommend it.
Mar 14th, 2004, 09:31 AM

La Fortuna (San Carlos/Arenal) is less than 1,000 feet (300 meters) in elevation, while the central valley is around 4,000 feet (1,200 meters). La Fortuna has more in common with the weather of the Caribbean coast than San Jose.
La fortuna de Bagaces (near Guayabo) is an intermediate elevation (1,500 feet, 460 meters) and slightly cooler. Also, since it is on the west slope of the Cordillera de Guanacaste, tends to be drier than the Caribbean side in July. There is a good chance that sometime late in July the west will experience a short dry season refered to as the Veranillo de San Juan. BTW this is a lovely little community, and there are a number of undeveloped hotsprings and waterfalls in the area. Well worth a visit if you want to get off the Gringo trail.
Mar 14th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks for clarifying that. I guess I have always been lucky when I have been there (3X to Arenal/Fortuna) and have never needed air conditioning. It has always been comfortable to cool to downright cold. I usually go during the Feb-March time frame so that might make a difference???? Temps are pretty stable year round in most places.
Mar 16th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Iza

Interesting - we visited La Fortuna (the one near Arenal) twice, both times in August and had the same experience as Suzie. It was cool and damp and during our first visit we were really glad that we brought long pants and sweatshirts. There was no need for A/C.

To go back to Jane's original question: after 3 trips to CR in August I don't even bother about A/C. I just make sure that the place we are staying at has fans and good ventilation. Even on the coast (Tamarindo, Manuel Antonio, Malpais), we were quite comfortable without A/C. The only place I found uncomfortable was Osa Penninsula - and it wasn't the heat as much as humidity.
Mar 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM

I find the entire country prettier and greener in July and sometimes cooler in the mountains - we were pretty cool this last Feb. up at Arenal.
Marilynn