Rincon de la Vieja

Jun 14th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Rincon de la Vieja

Im heading down to CR on the 25th. We're flying into Liberia, so I thought that since the Rincon de la Vieja volcano was so close, that maybe I should check it out.

My question is, are there any decent places to stay nearby, or should we stay in Liberia? By decent I mean clean, but inexpensive.
Is there anything good to do there? Wildlife, hiking, etc?

Im also planning on going to La Fortuna after Rincon de la Vieja. Would it be quickest to drive back to Liberia, then Tiliran, to La Fortuna, or would it be quicker to go toward Upala, then San Rafael, then La Fortuna?

On weather, since Im going at the end of June, should I expect to see much blue sky, or solid rain, or mid day storms?

TIA!
Dave

Jun 15th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Yes, Rincon is worth checking out. Some nice trails, zip lines and mud baths. Don't know about the direction or lodging as most just do day trips. As for weather, you can generally just expect mid-day or evening showers, but weather is not an exact science!
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM

As for weather I should add that you can generally expect more rain in La Fortuna.
Jun 15th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Yes, Rincon is worth a trip. Try to get there early because the good hikes take 2-3 hours each way. There is a really great guest house in Playa Ocotal called Villa Vista Mar, which is about 20 minutes from the Liberia airport. You can read about it in Let's Go Costa Rica:
http://www.letsgo.com/CORI/08-NicoyaPensinsula-80
Also, just south of Liberia is one of the most secluded and beautiful waterfalls I've ever seen. It's about three miles in from the InterAmericana. You can swim and spend the day there (it has shade and a sandy beach.)
You are correct that the easiest way to get to La Fortuna is through Tilaran. The only problem is that the road from just outside Tilaran to and around Lago Arenal is pretty rough. Take it slow because it's paved in parts and then loses the pavement without warning.
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Iza

Rincon de la Vieja is definitely worth a visit. There are several lodging options in that area: Rincon de la Vieja Lodge (had lunch there but not stayed there), Borinquen Hotel (enjoyed their volcanic mud treatment but did not stay - it looked like a great place). I have also heard good things about Hacienda Guachipelin.