Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

After Arenal and MA, where to go for the NEXT trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to return to Costa Rica. I must admit that I enjoyed Arenal better than MA (maybe just because 75 degree days are more pleasant than 90 degree days). Where to go for the NEXT trip?

We didn't make it to the Peace Lodge this time. How long could one amuse oneself there?
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:49 PM

Hi missypie,
Yep, you've been bitten by the "Costa Rica bug"! We, too, thoroughly enjoy the wonderful temp in the central valley. Such a respite from the 90's as you say!

The Orosi Valley area is worth a visit--beautiful.

The Puerto Viejo/Manzanillo (southern Caribe) is beautiful (and tends to be more rainy and a few degrees cooler than the Pacific side).

The Rincon de la Vieja area of Guanacaste--gorgeous!

Monteverde is nice and cool and good for 3 nights. We did 2 nights (a weekend) and it wasn't enough. We'll get back up there one of these days. . .

Tortuguero (northen Caribbean). Don't know much about it, but we are finally going to get up there this summer. We've put it off long enough! Have heard good things about Fran and Modesto Watson (Riverboat Francesca) and the Laguna Lodge.

Poas Volcano area--Poas Volcano Lodge-- Peace Lodge would be great for an overnight if you get there in time to enjoy the grounds in the afternoon and again the next morning. Two nights would be okay, but expensive as heck! La Paz Waterfall Gardens itself can be enjoyed in a couple of hours: butterfly farm, hummingbird gallery, waterfalls, gift shop.

Last summer we had a great time in a little town called Fraijanes, just south of Poas. We found a little house (in a private park) to rent for a couple of days--very good for just relaxing and enjoying the views.

The Osa Peninsula--Cabo Matopalo, Golfo Dulce side--hard to beat by anyone's standards! Breathtaking. . .

Caribbean lowlands north and east of San Jose--Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui area, La Selva Biological Station. . .

To the south, San Gerardo de Dota and Savegre (or Trogon) Mountain Lodge--great cloud forest, trout fishing, waterfalls, horseback. Further south from there, we loved the little Italian town of San Vito and nearby Wilson Gardens (like La Selva, operated by the Organization of Tropical Studies).

Little towns with cool hotels: Atenas (El Cafetal B&B)
Zarcero--BEAUTIFUL (cute little hotel
on the corner, Hotel Don Beta
(or something like that)
Puriscal (Ama Tierra, formerly La Finca
Que Ama)
Turrialba (nearby Casa Turire is a
country hotel)

We are going to check out La Carolina (near Bijagua, if I spelled it correctly) this summer. It is north and west of Arenal. Kind of a little horse ranch--very basic, but we hear the food is great!

Ah, and the southern Nicoya Peninsula--Montezuma, Malpais (hot, but still fun)

Good grief, the list goes on and on. You can't make a bad decision. Find yourself a new beach area and a new cool and pleasant inland area and you have another itinerary! Good luck!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so now you've planned my next eight trips! Thanks so much!
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 04:37 PM

I am just in the process of planning a trip to CR next march with a family of 5 (three girls ages 11, 13 and 16).

In reading the posts it seems there are several well established paths including Arenal, Monteverde and Osa. I am definately looking at Osa, but am looking for other suggestions for a ten day trip. My criteria is activity and diversity. I was going to say something different but realize how everything will be different. What I was thinking about was something not as common, or off the beaten track appropriate for the family.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM

Would you enjoy horseback riding? Of course, you can do that all over the country, but I am excited about visiting La Carolina (mentioned in previous post) for a couple of nights. Definitely different, off the path. Check out the website.

One of the persons who used to post frequently on this board took her children there a couple of summers ago for a few days and she reported having a terrific time--and excellent food!