Car rental in Arenal/ La Fortuna?

Oct 12th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Car rental in Arenal/ La Fortuna?

Hi everyone, I'm trying to fine tune our transportation details and am having a really hard time getting any information about what companies rent cars in the Arenal/ La Fortuna area. Please help!
Oct 12th, 2004, 04:14 PM

You might send an e-mail to Dollar and see what they can do for you. We have enjoyed their services in the past. They've always been quick to respond to my e-mail queries. I THINK the website is dollarcostarica.com.
Oct 12th, 2004, 04:50 PM

I think Dollar has an office near the soccer field and church in La Fortuna. One of the very few rental companies that do. Some of the others could deliver a car to you but there would most likely be an additional fee.
Oct 12th, 2004, 09:55 PM

We like to rent a car from Poas. Although we have always rented one in either Liberia or San Jose, I remember seeing their office in La Fortuna.
Oct 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Dollar e-mailed me that they don't have an office in La Fortuna or Tamarindo. That doesn't sound right... but that's what they told me. Am waiting to hear back from Poas.

National has an office with the below address, that's Arenal area, right? I'm just confused because it's listed under the city of Alajuela...

NATIONAL:
La Fortuna
SJOR01
La Fortuna Downtown
La Fortuna, Alajuela, 1128-1007 CR
Tel: (506)479-9090
Fax: (4)79-9090

Alamo has this address, which I think is also Arenal?? Same confusion as above.... Is the La Fortuna near Arenal the same place as La Fortuna de San Carlos?

ALAMO:
ALAJUELA
Sun-Sat:07:30am-06:00pm
LA FORTUNA DE SAN CARLOS
ALAJUELA , 0
Phone : (506)479-9090
Fax : (2)335-555

Thanks! Just want to make sure I don't reserve a car in the wrong city! That would be bad...
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM

La Fortuna is in the province of Alajuela. That is why you are seeing the name. The capital of each province has the same name as the province in all provinces except Guanacaste. There the capital is Liberia. Bit of trivia. . . .
Oct 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM

So sorry, I usually check before posting anything. The rental company I was thinking of by the church is Alamo.
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Don't know if they have an office in that area, but I've had great help and responses via email from Eduardo at Avanti Rentacar. I think their URL is www.avantirentacar.com. If you prefer phoning, the site lists a USA toll free number whcih puts you straight thru to their office in CR. Referred by Xandari staff who highly recommend the company.
Oct 15th, 2004, 01:09 AM

Thought of something that may help. Near the car rental and the church and the little shops in Fortuna, there is a section of the road that is one-way toward the volcano. Driving away from the volcano, if you see a familiar picture on a road sign with the words, "No Hay Paso" - that's where you need to turn right and bypass this 2 or 3 blocks of one-way road driving away from the volcano. Other cars will be doing the same. We did this and were glad we did - to avoid a conversation with the police standing nearby!
Oct 18th, 2004, 09:11 AM

We rented a car from Tricolor, it's a Costa Rican company, and we had a very good experience. We had a windshield shattered in one of the small beach towns -- they replaced the car within hours and were very helpful in getting the documentation to get insurance payment back. I don't have their website (they do have one), but they are all over the place.
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help! Tricolor does not have a rental office in La Fortuna, fyi. I have confirmed, however, that Alamo and National DO have offices there. But, after hearing my friend go on and on and on about a horrer story renting from Alamo in CR, we'll probably suck it up and pay more for National. I take it a 4x4 is advisable for late November? Only thing that sux is my boyfriend insists on driving, but he can only use automatic, which is more expensive!!!! Grrrrrr.
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:31 AM

LOL--the male species is an interesting one, indeed! I think it's because everyone knows we girls file our nails and apply mascara while driving!!
Oct 20th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Shillmac - Funny part is that I can actually drive stick shift and he can't! Still, somehow, he thinks he's better suited for driving in CR. Fine with me. I'll be sure to pack those nail files!
Oct 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM

I think you have arrived at one of those "bite your tongue" junctures in your relationship. My tongue would probably be flying 6 directions at once, but I'm sure you'll "take the high road" as TripleSec would say! Good Luck!
Oct 20th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Not trying to start a riot here, but I prefer an automatic while on vacation. The first time you get stuck behind a slow-moving agri-truck on a curvy, narrow, mountain road in CR, you'll be glad you're traveling in the absence of a clutch. Also, prefer a CD player.

Use the search function on the board here - on the U.S. forum - for tips on renting cars. I learned some great things on that thread that are useful in any city on the globe.

Best of luck,