Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Lack of response from CR hotels - normal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble making reservations via email for our Costa Rica trip. Is that normal? Is it best to just pick up the phone or is the lack of response indicative that I should pick another place to stay? Having problems with Alajuela and La Fortuna. Thanks.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I'd call. When we were planning our trip, we'd occasionally run into the same problem. Sometimes there were just internet connection problems.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I agree; they have problems with their internet sometimes. Some places didn't get back to me for a couple of days. If it's been longer than that, I would call.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Call. It might be problems connecting to the Internet, but I find that E-mail just doesn't seem to have the urgency that a phone call does for some people in Costa Rica.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM

The other thing to remember is that Costa Rica, in general, doesn't have the urgency most foreigners do. Meaning, they are more slower paced and do take time getting back to you.

Also, if they don't have space you might not hear back. I would try calling, but many times no one answers the phone either. Even at some of the bigger hotels. If it's urgent because your vacation is coming up soon you should try both e-mailing and calling and then just move on to second, third, fourth choices until you get an answer from someone. It's high season there right now and for sure everyone is very busy.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:01 AM

It also depends on how soon your trip is. If it's not soon and/or during the busy season, you may want to give them a few days. Sometimes I'll get a response in a couple hours, sometimes a couple days.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I'm patient, but it's been over a week and I haven't heard back from Pura Vida Hotel (which answered my original email but not my reply where I asked for some add'l info) and Arenal Paraiso (which hasn't responded at all).
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:03 AM

I would head to your nearest store that sells phone cards. We call CR a lot and it is much cheaper. A week is a bit long for a response. Have you tried Arenal.net (anywherecostarica) for booking Arenal Paraiso?
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Some places did not respond to emails, I didn't use them. Unless there is one you really, really want to use, I would just move along to the next choice.

I booked all three of the hotels for my trip by email and they were all good about responding, and helpful with fallow up questions.

But are you sure you were emailing the actual hotel, or a 3rd party booking service. Some of the web sites can be misleading?

Keith

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM

I'm sure you've checked your junk mail folder... , right?
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:29 AM

A very reliable booking agent is http://www.anywherecostarica.com/

They will call the hotels for you and check availability, then e-mail you and handle all of your concerns. They also book tours in advance, transfer shuttles, domestic flights etc.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:15 PM

we booked our hotels last time thru latindestinations.com, including arenal paraiso. It was the same price as booking directly with the hotel.