Cell Service in San Jose, CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 15 son is taking a spanish emersion course this summer near San Jose, CR. Does anyone know the cell service provider situation is there and how to access? He currently has Cingular. In other travels, I know that Cingular always says that the cell phone works but it never does.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:50 AM

It won't work in Costa Rica. We even brought a satellite phone and couldn't get it to work. He'll have to rent a Costa Rican cell phone.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Costa Rica only offer one choice for cel phones and that is the ICE ( the costarican power and telephone company) It is embarrizing to accept that ...even if you have the money and fullfill all the legal requiremnts they my ask...they have no phone numbers available...I hear that maybe by Sep...they will have some new lines to offer to the public...

The other alternative is to rent a phone...if you do that...please be carefull..I hear of a lot of problems with that system..mostly about the crazy charges for each call to USA or even sometimes in Costa Rica

Any telephone in Costa Rica does not matter the company in USA or anywhere else your are affilated with...have to go by the ICE rules and lines...that simple and ugly!!!

R.A Luis

100% costarican and proud of it!!
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 07:28 AM

I just returned Sat from CR. I have t-mobile that is a quad band phone it worked in most areas, but not all. We were in Manuel Antonio( 0nly worked when up on hill), Arenal ( worked anywhere) and SJ ( it worked) It did convert to ICE. My plan cost $1.99/min. I made 2 calls from MA and it was $32.00 for 16 min! I was told on my plan you can text for $.30/ sending and .10 receiving. I tried sending but the receiptent didn't get it. It may have been my mistake but it did say I sent it and I was charged for it. With a quad-band phnone you don't have to worry about changing bands.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 12:32 PM

I also have T-Mobile, with a tri-band phone. Just be sure you have international calling added to plan before you go. With T Mobile, there is no additional charge for the service - maybe that's why your Cingular service hasn't worked - either you don't have a phone that works international or you don't have international calling added. My phone switched services automatically once we arrived in SJO and I had services nearly everywhere in Costa Rica, with the exception of Bosque del Cabo! No problems.