Gran Porto REal allumni??

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:18 AM
pearfarmer

Gran Porto REal allumni??

For those of you, been there, what room/s should I ask for? If I pay for an oceanview is that what I'll get? I've read the warnings here on this but this hotel looks like a lotof rooms face the ocean. Suggestions? thanks, pam.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 12:42 PM
cheri

We stayed there this last June and requested a ocean front junior suite and that's what we got. I would suggest asking for a second floor room. The first floor rooms get a lot of foot traffic out in front of the patios.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:05 PM
leslieh

Well, we paid for an ocean front junior suite but we got really was a peekaboo view of the ocean that overlooked the pool bar and a big long wall on the left...so your view was obstructed no matter what! The balcony was too small so my 6'2" hubby knees hit the railing when sat down-needless t say we were disappointed! I had read on several boards to immediately put your name on the "list" for a better room as soon as you discover that yours is not what you expected. We moved 2 days later to the 3rd floor with a wide balcony and a hammock-then it felt like the vacation began!L

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:03 PM
brenda

Am very interested in more on this hotel. Is it close to shopping, restaurants, etc.? Where would you go to catch a ferry to Cozumel? What about a trip to Tulum, easy? Thanks for any and all tips on this area.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 01:43 PM
pam

How old is this place? I have been reading most places are not on the beach in PDC. MY husband and myself, 50ish, no children would like to also go to Playa this winter. It seems the RH is the best but I am afraid that is not within our budget. It seems they are opening many new ones.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:03 PM
leslieh

Porto Real is about a 5 minute walk to town (go down the main street by the hotel entrance turn left there ya go- don't want to walk- you can rent a classically tired old bike from the hotel!), internet cafe Cafe Chan (I think its called) is like a minute away if you just HAVE to check your email, the Blue Parrot is a 3 minute walk down the beach right next door, wider beach and bigger waves is about a 10-20 minute walk north of the hotel. The Cozumel ferry is on the far side of town-the end of Ave. 5 or so- takes about 20-30 minutes maybe to get there. We thought it was a very good location, rooms were nice (once we got the balcony we wanted and walked to town every evening and felt safe enough coming back late and full of food, cheers, beers and brandy...

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 05:33 PM
bb

How did you know which specific balcony to ask for? Did you have a jr. suite? Would like to know about the rooms.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:08 AM
leslieh

I read on another site:www.locogringo.com about the potential for not getting what you may expect from a jr. ocean view suite. If I remember correctly folks there said 3rd floor was the best (which is where we ended up) and that immediately upon arrival if you didn't like your "view" then head to the front desk because there is a list to put your name on to be moved...so the hotel is aware that some jr. suites are lesser than others. The rooms were pretty spacious with stone floors, high ceilings and the bathroom had this nice square tile shower and rustic stone sink/stand...big enough for 2 people to get ready at the same time-lots of storage space and a safe in the closet. We had a nice time...although the flight from Seattle was long-we'll stick to the west coast of Mexico for our next trip...PDC was a kick..!L