The Alexandra Oceanfront or Gavensport Oceanview

Aug 5th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

The Alexandra Oceanfront or Gavensport Oceanview

I Just found this board and see similar questions, so figured I would ask mine exactly.
We will be going to Turks & Caicos in a few months. For the same price, I am deciding between 1) The Alexandra Resort Beachfront Studio, or 2) an Ocean view room at the Gavensport. The latter looks a bit more luxurious, but The Alexandra seems decent and can afford a beachfront view here. I will be going with my girlfriend (we're in our early 30s and pretty active, but want something relaxing/quiet too). Any help deciding which way to go or opinions are much appreciated.
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

FYI - just to clarify specifically,
1. The room at the Alexandra is listed as "Luxury Beachfront Studio"
2. At the Gavensport, the room we are considering is "Deluxe Ocean View Studio" and includes continental breakfast

Thanks again.
Aug 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Double check the Gansevoort---is there any outdoor space? Some of the less $$ rooms have no sliding doors--just a window.
Also. Alex. is in a better location to walk to other resorts for dining ,etc.
I'd pick Alex...,
Aug 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Caribzack - Good idea. I did check and this type of room is listed as having a terrace and kitchenette.
Aug 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Alex has pillowtop Queen size beds
Gansevoort has King size pillow top beds
Alex is closer to the "hub"
Gansevoort is closer to snorkeling
alex has a slightly nicer beach front
Gansevoort has a better restaurants
Gansevoort Ocean view is a small view, but still gorgeous pool view
There really isn't a bad place to stay in T&C
Aug 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Is it also safe to assume in general food and drinks will be even more expensive at the Gansevoort? M
Aug 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Food / drinks is way more expensive at Gansevoort...I like the location of Alex SO much better, easier to walk to other resorts for dinner, lunch etc
Aug 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I think we have decided on a beach front at the Alex. I know we are giving up quite a bit of luxury, but when push comes to shove, the Alex seems nice enough, and I can't forgo the experience of being able to sit outside your room directly overlooking the ocean during a sunset or sleeping with the sound of the ocean right outside (we live near the water now, so we're use to just a "view"). Plus, the lower cost drinks (hey - its vacation) and location to walk to other places is a plus too. Any recommendations on which places are worth walking to and eating at?

Blamona - just a FYI - the Oceanview rooms are queen beds, but the Beachfront studios (ie. "Luxury" studios) at the Alex are King beds (actually 2 twins pushed together to form a king with a feathertop mattress pad on top). Or so the website and the customer rep both said. We shall see.... Thanks for your comparison though - very helpful!
Aug 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM

From Alex walk to:
The Regent Palms-2 restaurants: P23-hi-end wonderful, Plunge-pool bar, excellent at night, casual menu, great view
The Somerset-my fav., LunaSea for Lunch, O'Soleil -for dinner and live music on friday night in Zen garden!
The Sands:Hemingways-casual lunch/dinner
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM

From the Alex how far a walk is it to the various hotel restaurants... are they just walk up service open to all from the beach, and how late are they open? Thank for any help in answering these questions...Also are there any bars in the area that you can recommend.