Search

LDB Room Choice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LDB Room Choice

Hi,

Can anyone describe to me the differences between the "premium ocean view" and the "ocean cottage" at Little Dix Bay? The descriptions on the web site sound very similar.

Thanks!
Patrice
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM

I have stayed in both premium ocean view and ocean cottage. Premium ocean view is a lovely large room with a a beautiful view of the sea and is a very short walk to the beach. It is in a building of approximately six rooms. The batroom was spacious and lovely with a large bathroom with a nice sized vanity and shower.It also had a nice private balcony. These rooms are closer to the pool and spa but are still very peaceful and private.

While I really enjoyed my ocean view room,, I found my ocean cottage to be more luxurious with two showers, one inside and one outside, two large vanities and with only two units/building, it was very private. It was very close to the beach, but was protected from beach traffic by trees which provided a park like setting. It also had a large partially covered patio complete with table chairs and lounges. It is located on the side of the beach that offers the best swimming snorkeling and is close to the boat dock.

If there are no b budgetary concerns, I would opt for ocean cottage, However, if you would choose to use the savings gained by choosing um ocean view, for perhaps an extra day, private charter or snything else, I feel that you would not be disappointed.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Diane: Am I remembering correctly that the ocean cottages are flat on the beach and the ocean view rooms are set a bit up? We always prefer to be up a bit (thus our favorite accommodations at Caneel, e.g., are Cottage Point rooms; would have no interest in Scott Beach) Many people love walking right out from their room onto the beach-- we prefer the better (imo) views from a slightly higher perspective, and also the fact that there's usually better privacy in ocean view rooms. OP's preference in those details might help make his choice. And all the rooms at LD are, indeed, quite lovely.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Poss,

Ocean view are built up on a small hill from which there are steps down to the flat beach area. If you like the Point at Caneel, you will probably like this location. The waterside walk from your room to the main dining area is stunning. Ocean Cottages are on the flat. Both rooms were very private, as the design is such, that I saw very little foot traffic from my ocean view balcony and none from my ocean cottage room. From your description, it sounds that ocean view may be the best for you, and I believe that you will love your stay

I am beginning to plan my return.

have a great trip.

Diane
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM

Hi Diane,

Thanks for responding. In fact, we have stayed at LD-- mid-December 06, in an ocean view, rather than ocean front, for reasons touched on in my earlier post. We liked LD just "ok," (for reasons I've enumerated on other posts), but I can understand how many folks love it a lot. If the snorkeling were terrific right off the beach, we'd probably give it another go, but while we somewhat enjoyed the dinghy drops to other beaches, we prefer when there's good and varied snorkeling right at the resort. (Not easy to find these days!)
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Diane & Poss - thanks for the info. My husband and I have not come to a decision yet on if we'd rather be near the beach with less view or a little further away with a view. I like being on the beach more and he tends to spend more time on the balcony reading so he likes a view more. We are actually splitting our time between Caneel and LDB, so I'm thinking maybe at one we will be close to the beach and one have a nicer view. However, the LDB web site no longer shows the premium ocean view rooms available for the dates I am looking at so the decision may have been made for me already. I can get the premium ocean view if I book with AA Vacations, but I haven't decided if I want to do that or book directly with LDB.

I realize this is off topic, but can you tell me what the view is like from the Cottage Point rooms at Caneel? Do you know if these rooms are otherwise similar to those on Hawksnest? These are the two areas I am looking at for Caneel.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM

Patrice and Poss,
I have also stayed on Cottage Point. While the view is spectacular, it is a little, but not too far, walk to the beach. I really enjoy being close to the sea. Consequently, I always request upstairs Hawksnest, which being elevated, gives a wonderful view of the ocean, although not quite as spectacular as The Point, and is only steps away from water's edge. Both rooms are basically the same.

I agree that Caneel's off beach snorkeling and seven beaches are truly unique, and is absolutely something special.

I have only been to Little Dix twice, the last being this past November, when the Christmas winds were prevelent and there was an adviserary that because of currents and riptides, it would be dangerous to enter the water. (That was also true my last day at Caneel.) Consequently, I did not have the opportunity to do much snorkeling there, and cannot give much of an evaluation. The staff at LD was so friendly, and went out of their way to insure that I had an enjoyable stay, that, although I am an avid snorkeler, who was landlocked, I had a great time. My next LD stay, I plan to do an Anagada day trip, the Spring Bay picnic and snorkeling trip, a guided nature walk, and an off shore snorkeling trip. ( my two BVI off shore trips, which included Indian Rocks and The Baths, were the best snorkeling experiences that I ever experienced.

I am planning ro do a Caneel/ Little Dix split, because I love them both
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM

Important to note: Many people would probably say that they like the view just as well or better from the beach rooms. Don't get the idea that those views aren't fine-- they truly are; it's just that we have always preferred the slightly elevated views to being flat on the beach. (Many people feel that being right on the beach is the funnest of all.)
The views from both Cottage Point and Hawksnest are spectacular (imo better even than the views at LD). I'd say that neither of those views is better than the other: they're both simply terrific.
The "feel" of the two accommodations is different though. some prefer Hawksnest; others prefer Cottage Point. We much prefer CP because there's no top/bottom unit; Hawksnest seems almost motel-like to us, with one room above, one below. Also, we think the balcony privacy is much better at CP-- in many of those rooms, no one could possibly see onto the balcony.
Btw, If you're going to Caneel in summer, you might want to consider seriously the Hawksnest rooms, esp, if your husband likes to read on the balcony. There's always more breeze and shade at Hawknest than at the other Caneel beaches. In fact, if you like being on the beach, and he likes a view, Hawknest would probably be very much to your liking: the views are great and it's right on the beach. Consider whether you want top or bottom floor though. (No way I'd ever take bottom; others seem to love it.)
Happy choosing!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:21 PM

I agree with Poss. We were at Caneel this summer and Hawksnest seemed to get the best breezes. Plus, I think the beach has the best views of any of the others at Caneel.