Recent input on Los Lirios Hotel in Tulum

May 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Recent input on Los Lirios Hotel in Tulum

Hola, everyone.

I'm interested in recent input on Los Lirios Hotel in Tulum. Is the beach there sandy (not rocky) and swimmable?

Are the beachfront cabanas nice?

Cheers,
Kat
May 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

I'm concerned because there are some recent criticisms at TripAdvisor about bad sewage odor, mildew in the rooms.
May 14th, 2008, 07:15 AM

We stayed at Los Lirios last January. We would definitely go back there. The beach in front of the complex is a 10 - no rocks, plenty of room. The beach is definitely swimmable, just realize that there is a pretty good surf in Tulum which could be tricky for children (great for body surfing!) Lots of comfortable loungers for guests, and some palm trees for shade. The rooms are huge, clean and very comfortable. There is electricity 24/7 (rare for Tulum). However, ours was the southernmost cabana, which was next to a very funky looking unfinished cabana that was being used by the hired help. Didn't bother us, but might bother some folks. Our cabana was also near the generator, but it really wasn't that bad. The grounds of Los Lirios were nicely laid out, and the free breakfast buffet was quite generous, with made to order waffles, eggs, fresh fruit, etc.
Jun 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM

We also stayed at Los Lirios and agree with Zootsi. Our room I believe was C3, an upper ocean view and it was very, very nice.

The ocean front rooms are far from the water treatment plant so I don't think there is any chance of odor reaching them since the breeze comes in from the sea. The upper ocean view rooms imo are a better buy since the view (at least ours) is about the same - there isn't much distance between the ocean front and ocean view buildings. The upper level rooms give a better view than the lower ones and have very high, thatched ceiling which add to the tropical ambience.

There are some rooms near the water treatment plant where odor might be a problem so be sure to mention in your reservation that you want to be far from that area.

We would certainly return. I posted a 3 part trip report that can be found by clicking on my name.
Jul 1st, 2008, 06:40 AM

KatW - for your info, I posted pictures of Los Lirios on this site. At this time they should still be in the top 50 posts or click on my name.