Search

Room Suggestion in Anse Chastanet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Room Suggestion in Anse Chastanet

Hi,
My hubby and I will be staying at Anse Chastanet in January for our 10-year anniversary. We are trying to decide on a room. He wants deluxe beachfront for view and to hear the ocean. Those seem a bit more closed-in then the open-air deluxe hillside. Hoping to get more detail and any suggestions about the rooms. Can you hear the surf from the hillside rooms? how far is the hike down to the ocean? Or how far is the hike from the beachfront rooms up to the pool and restaurant? Is the beachfront more open than it looks? any other thoughts/suggestions that may help with our decision?

THANK YOU!
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM

It has been awhile since we stayed at AC, but here are my suggestions...

I would not spend the money for the BCF rooms, because they are kind of tucked away and don't have the greatest proximity to the water. Also, if memory serves, they might be kind of close to the bar and restaurant? I am not sure, but once we got there, I was glad we had not booked them. They are more enclosed than the hillside rooms.

I also did not like the looks of the little rondel-type rooms down at the bottom section.

AC's big draw and one of the main reasons to go there is the VIEW!!! If you don't have physical limitations, get as high up that hill as you can afford to stay.

It is a BIG hike up that hill back to the room, so make sure you bring everything down with you that you need, or you will have to whine and wheedle (like I did), until your husband caves in and walks ALL the way back up there to get something YOU forgot.

The open-air rooms are amazing, and well worth the extra cost. I enjoyed the open shower in our room. I felt like I was living in a tree house.

I do not think you can hear the surf from the hillside rooms. If I had unlimited funds, I would rent one of the new luxury villas with glass-tiled plunge pools up at the very top. Woo hoo.

Good luck. You will have a great time no matter what room you choose.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM

It's been a few years since we stayed, but when we were there, the beachfront rooms did not have an ocean view. They are set back from the water, behind the tennis court and the lower restaurant. You couldn't hear or see the water. That being said, we enjoyed statying in one. The gardens out front were lush and we watched the hummingbirds each morning. They were the cheapest rooms when we stayed. My SO has bad knees, so this really was the best option at Anse where walking up the steps and hill were tough. The hillsides are nicer and do have better views of the Pitons, though.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM

It has also been a while for me, but we stayed near the top of the hill in a building on the left, with fabulous views! Several people staying at beach level at the same time had to use the nets over their beds at night. We did not, I think because of the breeze blowing up higher, but we also had a room with louvers on two walls that we closed before dinner. As for steps...we counted. I don't know if it's still the same, but there were steps in the center of the drive up to the top of the property. It was 100 stairs from our room down to the dining room and another 100 stairs from there to the beach. By the end of the week we were pros! That being said, we did try to take all of our stuff when heading down to the beach! We thought the beach was wonderful. It seemed very 'open' to me. My very fair DH did the best when we got a thatched hut for the duration of our beach time.

When we took photos from our room of the ocean/hillside/sunsets, I actually backed up to get the door frame in some photos as I figured no one would believe that is was actually the view from our room.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 01:25 PM

My wife & I recently returned from AC and will be happy to offer our opinions if you are still interested. We stayed in a Hillside room the first night and Beachside for the rest of our stay. The quaint, outdoorsiness of being hillside has a unique allure but alas, no A/C and nary a breeze when we were there. In order to hear the ocean from any of the rooms, you would probably need a conch shell but the foliage and the topography are gorgeous and there are plenty of other things to see in all directions from this tropical paradise.

The steep walk from the restaurants to the hillside rooms felt no less challenging to me than the 120 scenic stairs from the restaurants to the beach. The accommodating staff always seemed willing to shuttle guests in a van to wherever they wanted to go on the property, even though nothing is far.

From our lovely, open and spacious beachfront suite, the walk to the restaurant & bar, beach and dive shop was a couple of minutes, no sweat and no steps. Being close to the beach made it much easier and more convenient if one of us needed to go back to the room for any reason. Being close to the bar meant that less of my drink sloshed out of my glass on the evenings when I staggered back to the room (just kidding...about the staggering).

If it is a view that you want, there is beauty all around. From the open-air restaurant where breakfast is served you will see the lush hills and can almost reach down and touch the tops of some unusual trees. You will get up-close and personal with the native wrens as they try to take the sweetener packages off your table. Very finicky, they only seem to like the yellow ones.

Please do not be disappointed when you learn that there is no pool on the property, the ocean is friendly and the beachside service is exceptional. I am not sure what you mean about the beach being more open but that is where we spent most of our time.

Whatever you choose, we hope that you and your husband enjoy your trip, your anniversary and the charming people at Anse Chastanet.